Alzheimers quilt auction-pics

Hi Friends!

Make finding a cure for Alzheimer's disease a priority. Help by creating mini art quilts in any theme with a maximum size of just 9" x 12" (so that it fits a USPS Priority Mailer without folding) or purchase a mini quilt made by another artist. Or, do BOTH!

Here's my contribution! I look forward to seeing yours!

Sherry,

Your contribution is beautiful. OK, so let me grasp the concept here... your little jewel of a quilting motif is only 9" x 12" in size? Woman,,,, are you NUTS? How do you fit such an extremely detailed motif in such a small space? You gotta have lots of patience, a magnifying glass and major talent to pull this one off. Kewl!

Shana

....on both counts, I am NUTS and it is only 9X12!!! Actually it is smaller then that! I still have to trim it and bind it and I will leave some space around the design.

Check this photo out...notice the flower head pin? That should be a pretty good key as to how small the feathers are!

Ain't it wonderful that our APQS machines are so presise that it makes this type of work possible!

Goodness gracious Sherry!

How, please tell me how my "forty-something eyes" could do this?

And I love the green thread!:cool:

Yes, I would like to have the info for this as well, very good cause. ;)

That is stunning. I've been thinking I should do another. I've just done a small quilt as a give away on my blog, maybe one like that would be good for the auction.

Thanks for the reminder. Please post when it goes up for sale, I think a few of us want to bid on it, and well a bidding war is good for the cause.

Ferret

Sherry,

Thanks for supporting the cause. I hope it inspires everyone to make a mini quilt. I survived the Christmas quilting season in the midst of my mom's rapid decline with Alzheimer's and subsequent move to a nursing home. Things are smoothing out now but I'm having a hard time getting back into the groove. You'll understand if I'm not up to a mini quilt, but I am heading downstairs right now to load a long waiting quilt and try to get something finished.

Donna

O.K. Miss DIVA:;) I do want to be you one day, your mini quilt is gorgeous........

How on earth, do you go about doing such tiny patterns, would you PLEASE :) PLEASE :) PLEASE :) give me a quick run down, on how you get the pattern onto the quilt, a stencil, or do you draw it free hand, or maybe use you lazer light in the front to follow a tiny panto.

Could you de-mist-afi the process for us, I bet there is a few Sherry wanna-be's out the, who would like to know.

Thanks Sherry for the pic's of your work, as always they are a wonderful part of this forum & my morning.

...... but I forgot to include a link! (slapping head)

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is a grassroots effort to raise awareness and fund research to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. All profit is donated to Alzheimer's research. The AAQI is accomplishing its goals with two concurrent programs: You can bid on this months current quilts and find information to donate something you have created.

http://www.amisimms.com/quiltauctions.html

Oh MY GOSH. Sherry that is exquisite!!!!! I am quite sure my 60 year old eyes can't do anything that small and detailed but maybe one big design on a little block. We all eagerly await directions and your revisions.

Thank you for the information on where to send and buy these quilts. What a wonderful awareness campaign. As I sometimes work with Alzheimer's patients it is very rewarding to see an effor to find a cure.

Sherry- When are you sending your quilt in? I NEED to know cause I want to be the one who wins that auction. That is just amazing!

I know Ami will appreciate any and all support you can generate.

My sisters and I have a quilt touring with the Alzheimer's Forgetting Piece by Piece exhibit and I have one done and two more in the works to send in for the auction - but they certainly don't look like your...duh...never even thought to try something like that, but now I may have to make it three in the works! LOL

Great job

Timi

Salem, CT

Dear Sherry,

Your little quilt is beautiful and what a beautiful way to help combat such an ugly disease. Just last night I delivered a sympathy card to a woman in our guild who's beautiful 34 year-old daughter has just recently died from this terrible disease, leaving a young son behind to be raised now by his grandparents. What a tragedy. Let's do all we can to help.

Thanks, Eva

Sherry - Lovely as always and a worthwhile cause, for sure.

Gerry - Where you been, girl? I thought you fell off the planet. It's good to see you on the forum.

Donna - I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. You are not alone. I danced on my Dad's lucid days and dragged on the others. Alzheimers, it's the disease that keeps taking. We have to find a cure.

As you can see, I changed things up quite a bit! I think what I did set off the design alot better. All I did was color the ecru fabric with the closest to lime green sharpie pen I had... and added a few blings here and there. I hope it brings a nice amount to the cause and I hope I have encouraged some of you to consider stepping out on a limb and trying something new.

Archived