HELP!!! PIANO KEY BORDER IDEAS

I was given courthouse steps type quilt, fabrics are batiks and the quilt blocks ended up looking like large and small lanterns.

Problem: The quilt has a 2 inch solid sashing, 8 1/2 inch long piano key border (3/4 inch multi-colored batik strips) and another 3 inch solid border. The owner of the quilt wants something different in the border than the body of the quilt. I cannot find a similar quilt anywhere on-line where it has not been done w/an overall. In addition, I researched piano key borders w/o success to see what potential ideas I could find.

FYI, this quilt is an updated version of a pattern created by a quilt shop in town and will hang in a little show they are having after the new year, so I want to do a really good job. I am thinking of creating some sort of diamonds in the blocks. But am stumped on the the border. My goal is make the quilt look a little modern. As a result, I think feathers would look old-fashioned. Oh...did I mention that this quilt is EXTREMELY well-pieced.... which is why I have looked at it on my frame for the last 4 days!!!!! :(

Sorry no picture. I have never quite figured that out and I am currently at work. If you could point to a website(s) or images of quilts w/those types of borders that would be much appreciated. I'm stuck.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Lisa

Those are pretty narrow piano keys..3/4 inch. Ribbon candy in every other one might work, depending on how the math works out at the corners. I like the egg and dart (sort of) treatment. You might find it easier to work over two of them instead of each one...again, depending on how the math works out at the corners.

Archived