memory quilt

2910264310094604031cQTLmw_th.jpg

I met a gal at the grocery store who ended up hiring me to make a memroy quilt for her best friend who's DH died a year ago Nov. 2005.

He (Mike) was a fireman that helped in the big Berkeley CA fire a few years ago. He and another fireman had to pull a gal into a pool for safety as the fire swept over them.

Mike ended up with lung problems from this and died in Nov. 05.

Mike and his wife tried for quite a while to have a child, 10 years later they had a son.........who is going to be 5 in a few months.........Mike had a picture taken with his son(Mikie), wearing the red shirt that is on the quilt. ( I used this picture for the label)

I've taken some of that shirt along with one of Big Mike's favorite shirt and made a heart to fit into the pocket. I put a small firetruck into the pocket of little Mike's shirt and wrapped it up.

The gal who hired me was so surprised at how well the quilt turned out.....and the wife has put it on her bed to use every night.

Thanks for letting me share.

Tish

Awwww what a sweet story. :) You should have mentioned this story was gonna be a tear jerker so I could have grabbed a Kleenex! I very much remember watching the news about that horrible wild fire that swept through the Berkely area. I am glad that you were able to bring a little happiness of memories by making this quilt.

Shana

Tish.....oh, the tears are running here as well. My hubby is a fireman also and has been in many many situations, and more I'm sure that I don't even want to know about. This story hit way to close....my prayers go out to this mom and Mikie....they lost something so special, but yet you gave them something so special to hold on to. God Bless you.

• 1 month later...

Archived