Double QD wool or Dream Puff???

Has anyone ever tried doubling Dream Wool or Dream Puff? Client wanted "puffy" and warm. I tried putting a layer of QD Select underneath a layer of QD wool as I saw discussed here on the forum. I've never worked with anything but a single layer before. I am pleased with the result. But now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should have tried a double layer of one of the others to get it puffy enough for her.

I am using IQ and Patricia Ritter's Blossom pattern and have it as large as I can and still get it on the frame. By the way this critter is 89 x 108. We ran it the long way on our 14' frame so there would be less rolled up on the take up roller.

I haven't doubled them for someone who wanted a comforter vs. a quilt. I'm sure it would work, though. (Just expensive with the wool.) I bought an airlite poly that was about 2 inches thick. I did have to raise my hopping foot to accomodate the thick batt. I didn't like the look, personally, but the customer did. I was afraid it would be so stiff that it wouldn't drape over the bed, but it acutally did, to my surprise. I thought it would probably stand up on it's own and you would just have to lean it up against the wall! You can't quilt something that thick very densely. I just did an open freehand design. It sure was a poof monster and I didn't like the project very well. Luckily, no one has asked for that since! I gave away the last of the roll of batt to a student who had a similar request for it. (Haha, better her than me!)

I've doubled both and I liked the wool better. I've also done a quilt with trapunto using Puff, then wool and dream poly as the base. It was very think and gave tons of dimension but you had to be super careful using a ruler and going around the puff on top of the other 2 battings. I'd suggest doing up samples so that you can show your customers what it will look like. I have samples of all my battings so that customers can pick what they want and I'll tell you they come in so handy. Everybody seems to have their own flavor!

I like Heidi have doubled both - doubling the wool was wonderful but I didn't care for the doubling of the Puff. The doubled wool stayed soft and pliable and I loved it but the Puff seemed to stiffen a bit - very warm and the owner loves it but I was not pleased. If you double the Puff, I would suggest an open design.

Guest Linda S

I prefer the more natural fibers, but if your customer really wants puffy, why not use a higher loft poly? Hobbs and Fairfield make poly batts in different lofts. It's basically what you'd get in a comforter you'd buy at the store -- and much, much less expensive than doubling up a luscious wool batt.

Archived