New Millie problems

I have run the machine for about 6 hours total.

When I turn the SR on the beep does not stop. Is this normal? Really annoying.

When I take up the bobbin thread the machine is straining and motor humming. The needle moves very slowly and the humming continues until the needle is in top position.

The SR does not turn on from the back hand controls. I have been turning it on in the front and sprinting to the back of the machine. Is there something wrong with the back left handle. I can run it in non-stitch regulated mode from the back.

Today the motor is straining. The top thread keeps breaking. I have cleaned and looked for loose threads everywhere, tried new bobbins and different top thread. After straining it starts to stitch and I can't turn it off until I turn off the unit. The last straw this morning, the needle broke and the machine now is making a very loud noise. I changed needle and inspected bobbin case. Machine is still making loud noise and all buttons do not respond.

I think tech support is not in but I will try to call.

Any thoughts anyone.

Pat

Oh you poor girl, sounds like you do have problems. Your first 2 paragraphs are normal (beeping and bringing up the bobbin thread slowly and humming) funny thing I love the beeping sound :).

Your SR should work from the back. I'm no expert just a Millie lover. Hope you can wait until Monday when the tech's are in, they are wonderful patient helpers especially Amy who helped me for 2 hours last week to put a new foot on and retime my machine.

Good luck

Barb

Just a thought on the humming. Have you run the machine on manual for a few minutes to warm it up? Of couse you need to unthread the needle and remove the bobbin. When mine is cold it starts out that way with the needle up/down button. Some will disagree with this, but it works for me :P If the warm up does not fix it, it could be the #8 screw needs adjusting under the hood. That is something one of the reps or tech support will have to help with.

The thread breaking is most likely tension. these tensioners require alot more turning than the ones on our domestic machines. Don't be afraid to give it a full turn or more to loosen it. It depends on the type of thread you are using too. Just don't be afraid to mess with the tension. You will get the feel for it shortly.

Hope this helps.

Patty

Hi Pat,

Sorry, silly computer did what I told it to do.

I'm with Patty, I think your machine is cold and that's why it's "straining" to make the needle go up and down. Mine does the same thing when it's cold, and was worse when I first got her. Try running in manual for a while, and let her warm up. I'm sure you are going to be yet another of us that loves our Millies.

Beth

Hi Patty: :)

I totally know how you feel, I so wanted to love my Milli. "Gracie" (it may help to name her BTW), But it was a Love/Hate thing for a time.

She was a bit intimadating at first, I just had to think of her as a big DSM, & after all she is smaller than a car, & I don't have to take her out into traffic, so I can't crash her, right.

My biggest problem was that I didn't know I had to turn "on" the SR everytime I pushed a button to stop, took a few chioce words (good thing the kids didn't hear me), but I got if figured, & you will too.

There is an old thread (post), of all things that people have done wrong while quilting, it's a hoot, & makes you see that everyone has had their share of problems, & stupid mistakes.

I have done many of the things on the list, the worst was, I ripped a hole into a customer's quilt with a broken needle, scared the bgeezes out of me, (my first one), anyway after I had a good cry, I called her DH (she was in China) drove out to get a peice of matching fabric, replaced the ripped one, after getting the quilt back on to the machine just about ready to start quilting, & I realized (lite bulb moment) that if there was a hole in the front then there has to be a hole in the back, DUH! :( so off it comes again, I repaired that hole as well, & repinned again.

Just remember that all of us have had problems starting out, you'll get it sorted, :) & get really good at this, in no time.

good luck on Mon. with the tech folks.

Let us know how you make out o.k. :)

Oh Pat I feel your pain I surely do. I hate to say it but it was a couple of months before I could get my poor girl to work right. It was just getting used to the machine and learing not to be so scared of her. She still gives me tension fits from time to time, but I don't cry about it any more, just take a deep breath, kick the garbage can and start over. I kick the garbage can because it is a lot softer than Millie. LOL. anyway, hang in there, and know that there could not be a better group of people to share even the bad stuff with then then people here. they are truly the best. Please keep us informed on how things go.

Oh, I agree with everyone else about warming her up first. I let mine warm up quit awhile, sometimes even 5 minutes of the needle running without thread and always at least 15 minutes of being on before I ever start any needle action. I use that time to clean my rails, the table, oil the bobbin case and sing a few bars, just to get in the mood. I sometimes even dance.

Technical support has cured my problem. (It actually was my fault and a mistake that I don't believe I will make again.) Mark knew what it was by listening to the machine thru the speaker phone. Also, there does seem to be a switch problem and that is on the way to me today. Thanks Mark and thanks to all of you. I will try your techniques and learn from your suggestions.

Archived