Quilt-use horror stories

Last Christmas (2011) I made quilts for all four of my adult niece and nephews. I know and love each of these young people very well, which is why I made each quilt from cheater cloth I purchased at an area shop, quilted it with a nice panto, and bound it with a serpentine stitch on my domestic machine. I told each one, the quilt is for USING. It can be thrown in the washer and dryer, used on your bed, sofa, or the cab of your 18 wheeler. Just don't tell me about it if you use it to crawl on under the truck! To my knowledge, my niece loved and uses hers, one of my nephew's has an understanding wife who uses theirs on the bed and takes care of it, and another nephew asked his mom to hang on to his so he wouldn't "ruin" it. I think I must have taught them to appreciate them fairly well. :)

Several years ago, my husband's family member found a quilt between the mattress of the house his grandparents used to live in. Unfortunately, it was in poor shape in parts. So, instead of trying to rescue it in whole, we cut it up (gasp?) into at least 7 pieces/blocks and framed each. Each was labeled with the owner and approximate date we thought it would have been made. Now, each of the grandchildren have a piece of her quilt to pass down to their descendents...and we all know who made it and when. Each was excited to receive it as a Christmas present that year...even the brother who was blind, who received his without the protective glass, so he could feel it.

Oh Cheri, I felt so bad for the guilt you must have carried around all these years, but on a bright note...had you not done what you did you may not have developed such an appreciation for quilts and the talent to make them.

You are right Oma. I loved my mom soooo much and it would break my heart when she hunted for the quilt I knew she would never find. I had no interest in quilting but after she came to live with us I sat patiently and let her teach me. I figured I deserved the punishment! LOL It kind of grew on me slowly.

Archived