Has anybody here used the APQS Start-up kit? EATING MY WORDS

I called the phone number listed for ordering a start-up kit for my business, and received a packet of ads in the mail for APQS machines. I was very disappointed, so I emailed the guy whose card was in the folder, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Has anybody else here ever ordered the start-up kit? (or whatever it's called).

I ordered it and it was ads for the machine, a paper showing how much you could make if you quilted so many quilts at so much each (the same information that is on the website). In my opinion, the information from APQS about paying off your machine through quilting business is very misleading. Business depends on your area, your level of experience, your machine, and the competition in your area. Pricing is also affected by all these things. So there is no set formula for how soon you can pay off a machine.

Take mine for instance. With shipping and everything my total was $5900. I borrowed $6000 from my inlaws. It has taken me 2 1/2 years to pay back that $6000, out of my own pocket. I have not paid enough money quilting to pay back anything. As a matter of fact I just figured it out the other day. With the cost of the machine, batting, thread, classes I've taken, subscriptions to UP and Quilting Professional, Hartley extended table with guides, and the other rulers I have bought I am approximately $ 8, 500 in the hole.

I was planning to buy a circle lord and some more thread, but my husband doesn't think those are good ideas, since I'm still not making any money.

Norece, I didn't mean that it is impossible to pay off a machine in a few years. I just meant that the APQS sales department makes it sound like anybody can do it. That may not necessarily be the case. My husband and I were mislead by the information we got from APQS, both the written paperwork and the verbal information we got at the Paducah quilt show. That's why we went ahead and bought my machine.

Patty,

Last summer I ordered the startup information. I think the free information APQS provided is fine and it gives you a quick, basic idea on your ROI and other information if you want to start a business.

Now, that said, everyone in every place on this earth is has their own unique personality and environment. I think all people who want to get into any kind of business (even quilting) have to find their special niche to generate interest from potential customers.

Last summer I read the book "Make Money Quilting" and it provided me with lots of different ideas to consider, not just the standard cookie cutter quilting business. It's a pretty good book. Over the last year or so, I have also found all sorts of web sites and other books that are giving me education on a future business. I am also starting to put my feelers out in my community to see what type of niche I can find for myself.

Teresa, I have sent you a U2U. :)

Shana

Guest Linda S

Okay gals - time for a little tough love here. Just because APQS sends you a kit that tells you what the machines cost and what it is possible to earn quilting, doesn't mean that they wave a magic wand and you suddenly have a business. Anyone planning on starting their own business needs to do their homework, investigate the market in their area, write a business plan, do their own advertising, etc. You can't expect the company you buy the machine from to take you by the hand and show your quilts at quilt shops, let people know you are a quilter, etc. I wear shirts with quilts on them all the time. People ask about them and I say - "I'm a professional quilter." They say - oh, my aunt makes quilts, but she doesn't have the time to quilt them. I hand them my card and away we go. I take my quilts to the local shops with my cards. I show them what I can do, they put my cards up and recommend me. I take my quilts to guild, show them what I can do -- people line up afterwards to request my business card. YOU are responsible for going out and getting business -- just like any other business that starts up in your town. If people don't know about the service you provide, you and your expensive machine will sit there gathering dust. How get out there and grab for the gusto, otherwise you got nothing to talk about in the lockerroom!

Linda

Maybe there was a miscommunication. Call the 800# and ask for Alison. She will make sure you get the right one. Make sure you specify which packet you want.

As far as the rest. It is all relative. I was/am very active in my Guild. Know a lot of quilters. Do quality work. Know the LQS owners & teachers. Am pretty outgoing. Usually friendly and approachable. Clean. Professional. Live in a pretty populated area. High cost of living. Everyone works, most make good money. I paid cash for my first machine $14,000. I justified the cost of it in my first 9 months of quilting professionally. There are so many variables to success. I think most people realize this and take the estimated examples for what they are: examples of what is moderately possible.

Hey folks, it was just a question. Thank you, Linda and Cheryl for your professional assessments, and I will take them to heart. Shana, I will look for that book today. Teresa, good luck to you, and I hope you have many customers soon. Norece, you are certainly right, that's why I emailed Mark, though I still don't see a reply from him, so will call the 800 number and ask for the person Cheryl mentioned above. I might even mention that I just downloaded a free business plan thingy from Gammill's website, though maybe that's not a good idea.... :cool:

Spent all yesterday learning machine quilting on my Bernina with Hellene Knott. Very interesting what my machine will and will not do. Shoulders are so tight now..... hope it gets better with practice. I think it will be very valuable when I finally switch over to a LA, because I have never ever thought this way before while sewing and I'm sure that in itself will transfer.

Thanks everybody!

Guest Linda S

LOL - and it's just an answer Patty. Make sure you've got the right kit -- APQS does have one that has a business plan in it, or they used to anyway. I had already written my business plan, but I got theirs and used it to see how I was doing. I'm still just a part time quilter, because I have a full-time (plus) job at the local University, but I'm doing okay with the quilting business. And, it can't hurt to get a competitor's business plan. Doesn't mean you have to buy their machine!

Linda

Hi Patty,

I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't avoiding you. I just got back to the states as I was in germany for almost a week. I hope that you called in and got what you needed or it was on the website. Please email me back if you still didn't get the business info and I will make sure you get it. I am sitting in the airport now and will be back in the office tomorrow. :)

Take care,

Hey Mark et al at APQS: I owe you an apology! :( My daughter's 16th b'day party caused me to overlook a very important piece of mail last weekend. Guess what it was..... yes! It was another packet from APQS which did have the business info in it. That is actually very good service, and I eat my words of earlier. THANK YOU!! Mark, go home and relax, and thanks for contacting me here. :)

FYI - talk about new business ... JudyL posted a great idea last year and I have used it when business needs a boost.

JudyL pieces a drop-dead gorgeous quilt, quilts it like only JudyL can but does not bind it and puts it in a safe place (out of the sun) in her car. Then she stops by a few LQS and recons how many quilters are in the store. (Probably does a drive-by counting the number of cars in the parking lot. LOL. )

If she likes was she sees in the LQS, she goes out to the car and she takes that beautiful quilt into the shop so she can buy just the right fabric for the binding.

Of course, everybody wants her to spread out the quilt so they can have a look....and amid all the oohs and ahs, and "Who quilted this?" questions, JudyL (and me, too) takes a bow for the compliments and passes out business cards to everybody. ;) JudyL was right. It works every time.:)

Hi Everyone; I've had my machine almost a year. I attended a sales class before I purchased a used machine, so I got the business plan and start-up information. I studied it hard and long! I'm sure one can pay off their machine in a year with all the perfect conditions. But I think you have to consider the learning curve and business build-up time. It has taken me almost this full year to "bond" with Hope and get to know her "moods" (thread & tension). I'm beginning to build a nice business by word of mouth and my quilt guild. I had once heard that a person should allow 3 years to build a client base. I spent more last year than I made with buying supplies, classes, etc., so I'm still in the hole - but it's looking brighter. Be patient - Rome was not built in a day and neither is a good quilting business.

;)Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your post here and on my other one. That sounds like very good advice and I'll follow it (I hope!). Speaking of hope, that's a grrrrreat name for your machine. I call mine Virty, as you may have seen above. Short, of course, for her full name: Bernina Virtuosa 153, the Third. 3rd machine I've owned. :D

Thanks to Myrna and Linda Ramona too. I may try JudyL's idea some day. Sounds like a great way to start out finding customers. First I'll need the machine though, LOL!

Archived