Turning my first quilt

Good morning Everyone!  I'm getting ready to turn a quilt to do the side borders for the first time (nervous doesn't describe it LOL).  I watched Dawn's video on turning and am wondering if I can do that with zipper leaders?  I'm worried that it will be too close to where I will be stitching causing the zipper to be sewn to the quilt.  Before turning, I have it set up as the backing pinned to the zippers and the top partially floated.  The top is now unpinned from the roller and pin basted.  If I turned it and pinned only the backing to the zippers and treated the top as a full float, would that work?  Thanks so much for all your help.  I truly appreciate it.  Melissa

i generally will not turn a quilt to do the side borders until the body of the quilt is quilted. it sounds like your is only pin basted? lots of times a side border can be quilted vertically depending on the design you are quilting. If this isn't the case, i highly recommend waiting until the body is finished. 

and yes, when you turn the quilt..you only pin the backing fabric to the rollers. the top is already attached to the backing at this point. 

Melissa:  Sure.  All you have to do is pin the backing to the leaders.  I assume there is 2" or more of fabric on the sides of the back to accomodate the pinning.  Since you've already stitched a lot of the quilt, you don't need to pin the top to either leader.  Just pin it to the take up leader, roll the quilt 'til there just enough unrolled to pin it to the take-up leader.  I generally then roll the quilt back to the bottom to smooth out the rolls, and stitch the bottom border first.  When it's complete, I roll to the top and stitch the top border.  All you need to worry about is smoothing out the border fabric before you stitch it.  Good luck.  Jim

Thanks Kristina.  Yes, the body of the quilt is all finished.  The top and bottom borders are done, the blocks and setting triangles are all SID and CC quilted.  I just have the side borders left to quilt and I'm also going back and putting some curli-queues in the star tips (the blocks are ohio star variation) after turning.

Thanks also Jim.  yes, LOL, I think there is about a foot on each side for pinning.  I'll make sure I check that the border is smoothed top and bottom. 

LOL, I think I have spent just as much time under the frame with a flashlight seeing how the stitching was, as I have actually quilting at it!  I've learned so much doing this quilt.  Thanks to all for your helpful guidance.  Melissa

Archived