machine quilting an "old" hand pieced top

hi,

i have 2 'old' hand pieced tops that i would like to quilt

my question is , can these be quilted on a longarm quilting machine?

and if so. what design of quilting would be best?

i was considering purchase of a groovey board or ez template

thank you for any information and suggestions

kay

Kay,

I just finished quilting two old hand pieced GFG quilts. I had no problem with the quilting. I usually try to do some type of quilting design that would have applied to that time, but on the GFG I did some freehand leaves, flowers and other things in them. The girl who owned the quilt tops didn't care what I did.

Char

Kay,

What is the quilt block pattern? As with new quilts, I think you should consider the pattern too. I have quilted several hand pieced tops, you can see them at my web shots page. Just make sure that all seams are sewed properly. There is a lot of tension on the longarm that these old stitches may not be able to handle the strain.

Mary Beth

i have posted pictures of the tops here,

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kay_0824/album/576460762387450085

any suggestions as to what would be appropriate quilting would be appreciated

kay

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Kay,

What is the quilt block pattern? As with new quilts, I think you should consider the pattern too. I have quilted several hand pieced tops, you can see them at my web shots page. Just make sure that all seams are sewed properly. There is a lot of tension on the longarm that these old stitches may not be able to handle the strain.

Kay,

I could see them this time. Sometimes I go to webshots or google images, and put in a quilt pattern name and it brings up pictures that you can get ideas from.

I guess it depends on how involved you want to get. I try to keep the quilting simple if I can, because I think that is what it would have been like when the quilt top was made. However, some tops my require more. I think you could just do an overall pattern on both tops. If you wanted to get crazy you could quilt something in each of the 9 patch blocks, then something in the sashings...but I think I would stick to an all over. I keep wanting to say panto, because that's what I do, my freehand looks bad - for now. Do what you are comfortable with. You have some beautiful quilts in your albums so I know you will do something that makes the quilts look great.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

that is a great idea, i will go google some images and get some ideas for the quilting designs....

and

i enjoyed looking at your quilts too, you have done a LOT and they are all gorgeous

kay

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Sometimes I go to webshots or google images, and put in a quilt pattern name and it brings up pictures that you can get ideas from.

You have some beautiful quilts in your albums so I know you will do something that makes the quilts look great.

Mary Beth

Hi Kay: :)

I would quilt them with patterns as traditional as you can find, maybe baptist fans, & if you plan on using them a lot, do as much quilting as you can, so they will stand up to the washing machine & dryer. Some of those older fabrics are a bit unstable, & may fall apart while washing.

Good luck, please post pic's when your done, we'd love to see them.

Archived