Quilt biz names

Yes it is ironic.... There is alot to figure out.... but its not hard it just takes time. I just know that when I committed in January of last year to making this a business I did not think that it would be that hard.... Granted having brain surgery was not in my game plan! but you take what God gives you and work with it. What I was trying to say earlier today is think and consider what you plan on doing to make it a business BUT realize that it does'nt always work. It is hard to try and convince a LQS Owner that she should give you a try because they already have their favorite quilter or THREE!.... Going to the local guild is really not an option they already have their favorites and there are alot of women there that will not even give you a look because they cannot afford to have their quilts quilted and they tie them or they already have their favorite quilter. It takes alot of time and alot of Luck and Prayer to even get there. Granted I am not complaining....Mine is slowly starting like I said I probably have a quilt maybe two a week but it is nowhere near where I can quit my day job yet! My main goal is to be back home for my kids when they need them. Due to unfortunate circumstances with my husbands company 3 years ago I had to go to work for the first time in my childrens life and they are 13 and 9....And I see the changes in them they are'nt the same kids they were when I was there all the time. I considered buying a machine 7 years ago when I really got into quilting at first but going and talking to a friend of a friend who is also a longarm quilter literally made me realize that at that time I was'nt ready to commit to making it work at that time I had a 6 year old and a 2 year old and I knew I did'nt have time and even then 7 years ago this lady I know was talking about how many longarm quilters there are in Oregon. 7 years later I still could'nt forget about these machines and I came across a deal on a new-used machine that I could'nt pass up, but I also went into it knowing that it was'nt going to be something that was going to happen immediately.... So I continue to work three days a week in a Construction Company as a Bookkeeper.....Until such time that I can truly say I can keep myself busy at least 3 to 4 days a week quilting.

Bottom line I truly love my Millenium-Compuquilter and would'nt trade it for anything....Please don't take what I say wrong.... There are so many pluses with my machine and every quilt I do but there is alot of hard work too.

Hi Melody!

Just wanted to pop in and say keep on doing what you do. You are a good mom, and you are a good quilter. Keep believing in what you're doing and keep having fun with your machine. Life is good. Your time will come. Be patient and keep making those pretty quilty things.

I'm sending you a great, big, huge (((HUG))) from Alaska right now! :)

Shana

PS: Did you feel it? ;)

Originally posted by Grammie

Many great names here. I love "Quilt Song"

I couldn't come up with a name so my Husband and Grandchildren said "Grammie Tammie's Quilting" Everyone calls me Grammie even my friends now. I have been thinking of changing it but my family boos at the idea. Besides a world without a "Grammie Tammie".....Hummmm

Tammie, I've had the honor to meet you in real life this past Nov. and I gotta say that you are most definitely Grammie Tammie to me, too.

Don't ever change that name, and puhleeeze...don't ever change that crazy woman personality you have, cuz woman, you are DA BOMB!

........"She's a sweet Grammie Tammie from Beaumont Texas... Go Grammie, Go Grammie, Go Grammie, Go!".........

:cool:

This forum is so full of information. Yesterday I placed a call to of local CofC and they referred me to SCORE. I had never heard of this organization before. I want to get a tax ID number so I can take advantage of pricing, etc. and I don't really know if this cottage industry will every make it to a real business. I will be going to a 1-day workshop and will talk to folks to help me get the basics to start a home business.

Since it will be several months before I can get some real training from one of the educators, can anyone suggest a few DVD's for freeform practice. I am starting slowly to get some training tools.

My Milli is humming away and so am I. We are in the deep freeze here in Western NY so today's a great day to PPP. Oh, I'm another Pat for the "Patti" list.

Pat

Grammie, I agree! A world without grammies is no world for me! I love the name, and I say only change it if your business will get better, but I'd say leave in the "Grammie" part for sure. (Speaking solely as a consumer, of course, since my mountains of business experience haven't accrued yet, LOL)

Melody, thanks, and now I"m getting even more confused and nervous about it all. But that's good, because it means I'll do more research, and that can't be bad, can it? Speaking of names, I've always wished I had your name, since I sing. At least my name got morphed into something quilty. ha!

Shana, thanks for the reminder about the local SBDA. I'll put it at the top of my biz priority list for this week to look them up.

My hairdresser couldn't figure out why on earth I'd be looking up all this info (I took a book along to read while the paint soaked into my hair) if all I want to do is sew and sell my stuff..... She said I should just make up a bunch and sell them at quilt shows, like a lot of other people do. That IS one thing I want to do, but I want my efforts to amount to something more than just a few dollars in my pocket. Have you all encountered this attitude in people you know?

OK, I just realized there's two (2) pages here, and I didn't mean to overlook the second one!

Melody, whoa! brain surgery! Well, all I can say is you're a walking miracle and you get my vote for the Mom of the Century award. Brava!!

Welcome, Patsydee! We're slowly getting out of the deep freeze here in Oregon, so in a week or so you will be too, LOL! Good luck with your new machine and getting some training. Everybody here seems very happy with their machines, and I'm ready to go demo one, but can't get away for some time. I think I'm going to call up a couple of ladies who've graciously offered to let me play with theirs, who live close by. Oo! what a thought! actually getting my hands on one of these! "Mufasa", "oo.... say it again!" "Mufasa" "oo........say it again!" (OK, if you've never seen Lion King you won't understand that, but that's how I feel at the thought of test driving an APQS machine). LOL!

Angie, my LQS is called A Common Thread. Hmm..... Any relation, I wonder?

Good advise to check with your accountant about filing status. You do have an accountant, right?

Another friend in town bought her machine and started her business last year. Because she and her husband own another business together and she's been working at that for a few years she thought the right thing to do was to register as a partnership with her husband. Turns out after the fact, her accountant would have had her register as a sole proprietor. Oops. Filing taxes will automatically cost her an extra $300 yr. Oops. guess it pays to check with the professionals first.

I'm registered as a sole proprietor. First of all, matter of pride, it's MY business and I want to keep it that way. But second of all, my husband is incorporated as his (our) business with an enormous insurance liability policy to cover us. And I did also check with our insurance rep before beginning any business with clients. Adding my business to our existing policy was nominal. So small in fact, even my hubby was willing to pay it. :)

Keep going you'll be working through that waiting list before you know it! ~~ Eva H.

Thanks, Eva H. I have no accountant, but we do have a company who does our taxes. Well, I suppose they must be accountants, LOL! We just never used them for anything else. I'm sure they'll know about all this too, so I'll ask them, although they are all the way in PA. Does that matter? Thanks for the info!

Archived