Help

I am not sure if this has been discused before or not but I can't figure it out( I hope Dawn is watching)

My Milli is working great and then for no apparent reason it just dies. I can restart it right away and it

sews great for a while then dies again. I have talked to a local shop and she suggested  grounding

the table. Tried that and it still drops out. I put an ohm meter on the table the base of the machine

and the head  and all are grounded togeather. I even put on a copper bracelet and grounded myself

to the machine.  My next piece of advice was to sprits some water on the backing fabric with no effect.

The backing fabric is a light denim but I have done these before with no problem. When I shut down

the machine and walk away for a while it will last  about half of a pass. but after it starts dropping  

out it only lasts a few minutes before it dies on me.  Help I am on my last nerve and is too early to open

the wine. :D

hi,

Just got my Lucey...don't know how much differant Millies are as far as wiring.....when you say it just dies...does everything go out...or does the machine just stop stitching...does the light stay on?  Have you checked all the connections...have you tried a differant outlet?  Are you using an extension cord and if so...have you tried a differant one?  My Bernina 630 just would die...and would come back on after I switched her off and on....but then it started happening more often and finally I had to try several times before she came on and what was wrong was a small computer board inside the machine....wish I could help more.....Lin

Orby, It sounds like you've tackled the static possibility pretty thoroughly. Our next troubleshooting step would be to see if there's a funky signal getting sent from one of the handles that is causing the machine to shut off on you. It would be good if you checked the motor brushes, just to eliminate that as a possibility. Weird electrical things happen when they get too short. Your manual has info on changing them, but I've attached a document here that can help. While the brushes are out, take the time to blow out the motor by blowing compressed or canned air through the opening of one motor brush hole and out the other side. Then repeat by blowing through the other side hole. (Cover up the hole on the opposite side with a paper towel or rag to catch the carbon dirt that will fly out.)

If that doesn't do the trick and the brushes are still good (they should be 3/8-inch long), then start by unplugging the back handles from the machine and then trying to quilt with only the front handles. If nothing happens, then there may be a loose wire on one of the mushroom heads on the back of the machine. In that case you'd plug one in at a time to see if the machine shuts off with that particular handle plugged in. If it still shuts off with the rear handles unplugged, next plug them back in and disconnect the front handle assembly. Pull the handle plug apart on the front left handle to disconnect the front set of handles. Then try quilting from the back of the machine to see if it will shut off. If it doesn't, then we'd do the process of elimination with the two front handles as well.

If it still shuts off after disconnecting the handle sets, then our next course of action is to check out the circuit board where your rear handles, and the encoders plug in. (This circuit board runs underneath the machine, and the handle jacks and encoder jacks are plugged into it.) Every once in a great while, debris from the motor brushes, an errant metal filing, or some other irritation will find its way down to that circuit board. As you sew, that bounces around on the circuit board and then hits the right circuit to send the "kill" signal to the mother board. To see if that's the problem, turn off the power and unplug the machine. Remove the plugs I just mentioned from underneath the two rear handles. Take a look and you'll see the two cover screws on each side of that bottom cover. Remove the screws on each side, and the cover will come down a bit. The board will still be connected by a ribbon cable up to the other boards. You don't need to disconnect anything. Now use some canned air (don't shake the can) or compressed air and blow the bajeebers (technical term:)) out of that area, all around the circuit board. Reassemble the cover, and plug the handles back in. Plug the machine in, and try again to see if it shuts off.

If you're still having trouble, just give us a call on Monday and we can help! On a few occasions a power supply will start to act goofy and decide that it will shut the machine off for no reason. That's a part that can be changed "in the field" if it comes to that, but these first steps to check will be where we should begin. Keep us posted!

motor brush repl - new mach.pdf

Thanks for the help Dawn . You are always more than helpful. I do have another question , Is there a lock on the plugs for the panto side handles? When I tried to unplug them they seemed stuck and I really don't want to break it any more,

Orby,

I believe your machine has LED lights, right? If so then the plugs for the handle are like phone jacks. Push down on the little tab on top of the plug and then wiggle it out. Sometimes it is just awkward to get to to the plugs. Try loosening the screws for the handles and then lifting them off the mounting screws slightly so you can get a better grip on the plug.

Archived