Just got my new Freedom. Experiencing some confusion

My new Freedom was delivered today, and I could hardly stand waiting for the end of my work day so that I could come home and see my new baby!  My husband brought all the boxes downstairs for me, but then unfortunately he had to go out.  I planned on getting some assembly done while he was gone, but ended up with a migraine. I took something right away so it didn't get too bad, and now I feel at least capable of organizing some of the pieces so that we're prepared when we can assemble things tomorrow.  

The confusion I'm having is concerning the canvas rollers.  I'm feeling kind of naive, but I've never seen the canvas rollers without dowels along the edges to attach the quilt to with leader grips.  I've quilted on a machine at my dealers studio, and on a Freedom owned by a lady I met in my community, and they both had dowels and leader grips.  It never even occurred to me that this wasn't a standard part of the machine!  Maybe it's my fading migraine talking, or the meds, but I feel so disappointed that I just spent $20,000 on this machine, and I have to use pins to attach my quilt.  Am I missing something? I'm feeling really dumb right now, and I probably sound like a real B****.  What do I have to do to get the dowels and leader grips? 

:(Don't mean to sound nasty. I probably shouldn't send emails etc. when recovering from a migraine:(

Hi Lori and welcome to the family. Sorry for the migraine--they are evil!

Leader grips are not standard on our machines. They are available for purchase and if you search the archives here you will find some great tips for installing them easily.

I can't say that I've heard of any manufacturer offering them as an add-on. If you're adept at using the leader grips that might be a great first purchase.

Pinning is easy and allows extra control. I've pinned since the start and consider it my "meditation time" while I ponder the quilt top.

Some use the zipper system which is easy after the initial set-up and allows you to attach the backer off-frame. 

However you get that top ready to quilt, I wish for you lots of happy, creative hours. 

Hi Lori! Welcome to the club!

I like the zipper system. Some like the grips.

You need some patience until every thing is just how you like it. It would be a nice option for apqs to get your leaders outfitted with either the zippers or the grips...anyone listening out there???

Good luck and always come here to get some answers, encouragement or inspiration.

Archived