Needle Holes in quilts

I've been reading posts - and know that for others too, needle holes are somewhat of an issue and that when the quilt is remove it will relax "some" and that washing will also reduce the holes, BUT - what do you do on the show quilts? Super custom jobs, etc?? Are the resulting needle holes on a very closely stitched quilt ever remarked upon at a quilt show? Do you actually wash a show quilt first? Guess I'm just looking for information.

We're working on a "new" pattern and find the results to look a bit like a screendoor when held towards the light, lol. We've tried smaller needles and I still have some work to do towards finding a "better needle". (I have another current post in that category.)

The McTavish book mentions using 16-20 oz hi-loft poly batting - Would that have any effect orther than for relief/texture?? My mind tells me it shouldn't but I'm grasping at straws here, <vbg> and that's a lot of thread too.

Any info would certainly be appreciated. THANKS.

Hi

I don't seem to have that problem (or at least it doesn't bother me) unless I am using an MR4 needle (I use that size for everything) and the fabric in the quilt has not been previously washed to soften and remove the sizing, or it is painted or waxed fabric.

If you see needle holes this means that the needle is thicker than the thread you are stitching with - you might lime to try using a slightly thicker thread.

You could also hover a steam iron over the top to close the holes.

best wishes

sue in australia

I am also a big-time "quilt washer"... as I love to see the added definition and dimension following a good soaking. ;)

I have never been concerned with needle holes what-so-ever with ordinary quilt fabric. I use a size 18 needle and have not had any issues or comments from either quilt show judges or customers- (Well, I have had show comments about my less-than-pefect binding, but that's a different story:(, plus I hate doing bindings anyway- LOL!:cool::P)

I think it also depends on the fabric type/quality that you are quilting. Of course, if you are quilting on say... light-weight suede or a "manufactured" blend of poly, then you might have a problem when doing very heavy quilting with a larger needle and thin thread. Or if there is a bonding agent used (like steam-a-seam or heat-n-bond), the needle holes will not be able to close on their own. You will need to use an iron to remelt the adhesive around the needle holes if they are a concern. Other than that, I have never had any needle holes that did not relax after the quilt was removed from my machine for a few hours.

Thanks for the tips. 90% of what we do is customer quilts and for the most part they are the "nice stuff". I guess I'm just obsessing - for nothing, lol.

We use 3.5 needles usually and a lot of 40 wt. poly thread (as used on a commercial emb. machine). Cotton or BL bobbin depending on quilt. I did order some smaller sized needles so will experiment when they come.

Archived