Channel locks

I have just set up my new to me 2001 Millie. Everything is running great except the channel locks.

They weren't working at all. I called APQs and was told to re-adjust with a business card. My DH has done that and has gotten them to unlock with the buttons but not lock. 

We have to manually push down to lock put with just a slight movement it will not sew a straight line.

Any suggestions? Can I replace them and if so what is the cost? Thank You Dianna

Dianna

I think I remember hearing about an older style of channel locks with a plunger that pushed down on the carriage or table.  I think that is what you have by your description.  I have the type that with the knife and sprocket on the wheels but I had one that wouldn't engage without a little nudge.  I did replace the solenoid for about $20 (from APQS) and that fixed the problem.  The channel locks only give some resistance to moving but don't hold all that hard.  You might try making sure the plunger is clean but I suspect your husband or you have already checked that.  The parts list I have is a few years old but has a channel lock assembly for $180.  

By the way welcome to the forum

Nigel

A bit off topic, but really not,   ^_^   

My Penny doesn't have channel locks, so we just use the black metal office clamps

on the rails.. works like a wonder, and has a lot of resistance.  either directions work just fine.

the clamps are the black metal that has 2 wire wings that are used to open the bite, and then

on flat things, the wings slide down to put them out of the way..  We use the ones that have

a large enough bite to easily fit over one side of the rails.. one to each side of a wheel works great.

No need to clamp both sides of the carriage.

Could you post a picture of your channel locks? If they are magnetic ones, perhaps you can cover the side that is magnetic with clear tape, then reposition them - Had to do this with my magnetic gammill locks,  as I could not get the spacing right so that the lock would both clamp and release. It would do one but not the other.....Not sewing a straight line means that they are still not close enough to hold tightly and are shifting as you move the machine along.

Debbie in Ga.

Archived