Quilt Maintenance Question

Hi. If you've seen my memorial quilt on the Quilt Pictures page you'll know why I'm asking this. Go on over if you haven't!

How do you wash a tied quilt, anybody know? I want to give instructions to the school so they won't mind letting the kids actually USE this quilt, which is what it's being given for. I don't want to say, "Oh, just throw it in the washer"! Even if that is truly possible, I'd like to give them something to refer to. I'm sure the ties will come undone, but I did knot them before tying the bows, so they'll stay on the quilt. Just wonder what is the best advice here so I can give it. (You see, at our house, the hubby always ends up doing the laundry so everything gets thrown in the washer and dryer eventually, so haven't made a note of the real and proper care of tied quilts, which I don't have one of anyway.) The fabrics are all 100% cotton pre-washed, and the batting is cotton with a touch of silk, tied 5" apart (except Donna's picture area which is 7" long and I didn't want to mar the picture).

Thanks for your help!

Hi Patty----

For a tied quilt with cotton batting, the washing should be gently done and the top dried flat. Sometimes cotton batting will bunch up from agitation in the washer, even with needle-punching or a scrim. Gentle hand washing is best, I think.

Your quilt brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing and your thoughtfulness to the school.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

If you tie close enough...no further than suggested quilting on the package...you should be good to go and wash like any other quilt. I wash mine in the machine on gentle or delicate with orvis paste and tumble dry on low. My washer is a front load so it does not agitate the quilt. My quilts are not heirloom...they are meant to be used. Unless, as Linda stated above...it is all cotton with no scrim...then it might bunch up.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I didn't want to stitch through my friend's picture on the back, or the plastic (spider cage, frog atrium window) on the front, etc... so I tied it. Do you think I should go back and stitch in some ditches, even if I have to stop at the spider or the frog....? I guess I could take out any ties I'd run over, temporarily...

Also, I'm making a label envelope as was suggested by some, and I'm wondering the best place to attach it. Should it always be an edge? Which edge? Or would I put it right under my friend's picture on the back?

Questions, questions.... Thanks for your help! :)

Well, I've decided that this time I just won't SID, because this project is THROUGH WITH ME as of 2:45, and I have a sick boy at home to take care of and all sorts of other things to do. If there's any problem the school knows where to find me, LOL!

Thank you, everyone, for all your helpful suggestions, and take a trip on over to the Quilt Pictures page to see my last photos of the envelope I've put on the quilt, thanks to Dixie and Shana's help.

Archived