Crosshatching with the longarm ?

lisata.

Hi !

I have a friend who hand appliqued this wonderful quilt, it has been sitting in her sewing room for a couple

of years now waiting to be quilted, she asked me if I would longarm it for her.

I'd love to, have a lot of feathers on my mind ! In the middle of the flowers she originally wanted crosshatching,

can you do that with the longarm ? Do I have to stop at every stem and flower bud and start somewhere else

again ? or do I go around the flowers ?

thanks for your help

Lisa

post-6297-0-98417900-1370077367_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-14617100-1370077369_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-18705500-1370077370_thumb.jpg

I would stitch around the flowers first.

Then perhaps you could use a air erase pen (purple) and draw your grid first.  That will help with your thread path that you need to follow and give you more of an idea as to where you can tack over  your stitching you have around the flowers. 

I agree with Laura, I would try to sneak to the next line as often as you can to save on doing so many starts and stops.  I usually outline all of the flowers and stems with monopoly first that nails them down and you can't see any "oops" or stray stitches that may happen.

Crosshatching will be pretty. you can do it on the longarm. I usually mark it first, as suggested above, then do all the  left to right diagonal lines first and then do the right to left diagonal lines. That way you can kind of continually travel without starting and stopping so much.

Archived