Embroidery machine advice

DIL is looking for an embroidery machine for $1000 or less. She wants to start adding embroidery designs to the baby clothes she makes and sells. She has also had several folks request emboirdered receiving blankets and bibs.

I have a Brother PE 770 that I love, but told her it would probably not hold up to as much use as she will put it through.  Could anybody recommend a machine that she could use for her small, home based business?

Thanks

Yikes...I think that might be a challenge...for starters...most single needle if not all single needle embroidery machines are meant for home use and any warranty that might be offered...would be invalidated most likely if being used to make items for sale.....also...she would need some sort of software....basic software comes with most machines...but you can not do much customizing with it...and embroidery software is $$$$.  .Also embroidery designs themselves are often copyrighted and she would need to make sure the designs she is using are OK to do on items for sale....I know the TOL embroidery machines for domestic use are going for almost as much as I paid for Lucey and at least two of them are even more than a brand new Lucey...Has she done much machine embroidery before?  It sounds like you have done some but there sure is a learning curve.....I don't know how much experience she has....but she probably can find a lower end used machine with limited hooping size but...I think I would encourage her to just try putting some designs on the items she makes and not do much by request initially....yeah...I am cautious....I don't know what she could find a used commerical machine for with multiple needles for color changes.......Lin

Anyone wanting to use the dsm embroidery a bit further than just load and stitch, could check out the Buzz Tools.. They have several programns that really enhance what you can do.

I'd recommend a used Viking if you can find one with current features, in her price range and then add the program of choice from Buzz Tools to enhance it.

My daughter has the Brother PE 770 also. She calls it her little brother. She also has the Singer Futura. She had some contact with the Singer people when she first got her machine, but she does very well on it. It wasn't as costly as some of the other machines, and with the software she purchased for the machine, she is able to do quite a bit. I think HSN handles these machines. She and I do small embroidery projects. I have a Bernina 730 and a Bernetta (embroidery only). My machines and software were pricey.

Thersa:  We've found that home embroidery machines are a lot of trouble.  Seems like there's alway one issue or another.  My wife has a Brother ULT2003.  It's a nice machine and works well.  A friend has a Viking DE.  It takes so long to embroider a pattern with either machine.  We bought a used Happy Voyager a year ago.  Now there's a machine.  It came with all kinds of software, and a Dell CPU.  It's a 12 needle machine so you don't spend a lot of time changing thread as the pattern stitches out.  It cost a lot more than $1000 ( we paid $4000 delivered).

My point is, if your DIL is actually going to sell stuff she embroiders she would be well served to skip the hassle of a DSM and buy a commercial machine to begin with.  The DSM bobbin systems stink.  (Happy has an L size rotary bobbin system like your Lenni) We've had to have the Brother serviced 2 or 3 times in the 2 years we've had it, and the Viking has never worked the way we think it should, and no one seems to be able to make it work right.  We've not done a great deal of work on Happy yet -alway seems like something is in the way-, but what we've done has been good.  The machine is reliable, and the software is something you can learn as you work with it.  I don't know how many patterns we got with the machine.  Thousands at least, maybe tens of thousands.  It came with an assortment of hoops including a cap hoop (which we'll probably never use, but who knows).  Another woman I know bought a used SW 15 needle machine for less than $3500-she didn't get the CPU and the software though.

If your DIL must settle for a DSM, I would go for an embroidery only machine.  Probably a Janome 350E.  I think you can buy a used one for about $750. Being a combination sewing/embroidery machine makes both the Brother and the Viking really mechanically complicated and bulky.  With a embroidery only, the machine is simpler and easier to transport.  We have several friends who have them, and they seem to be satisfied.  Aggrivation is a project killer for me, and there seems to be a lot of that with the DSM's.  Just my thoughts on the matter.  Jim

I do have a Viking D1 and a Viking SE and embroidery arms for both....they both have worked well for me....abd they are no longer being made.....but machine embroidery really is not cheap...the machine, the stabilizers, have a good palate of embroidery thread, the designs.....they all add up quickly....and the software....oh my!  Having a longarm is a lot cheaper....Did I say that?  Oh, you need thread, rulers, a floor mat, lighting, batting, thread...oh yes lots of thread!  Well....I will just keep on driving mty 2001 chevy for now!  My Chev is a cheap ride  :)    ummmm....maybe that is why I got Lucey...she is a fairly simple long-arm...hopefully...she will last for me as long as my Chevy!  Lin

My Chev is a cheap ride  :)    ummmm....maybe that is why I got Lucey...she is a fairly simple long-arm...hopefully...she will last for me as long as my Chevy!  Lin

Lin,  Your Lucey will outlast your Chevy, no doubt!  I'm driving a 1989 Ultimate I (Mabel) and she is still going strong like a new one. Mabel is pretty low maintenance, too ;).  So enjoy the heck out of Lucey!

Archived