Embroidery machine tension advice

Does anybody else out there own an embroidery machine with a drop in bobbin that can't get bobbin tension adjustments made?  I mean, I'm sure they can be adjusted, I just can't figure out how.

My machine's bobbin tension is way too tight. I have the top tension all the way up and still getting all top thread on backside; and it is puckering my fabrics really bad, no matter which stabilizer I use.  I have changed bobbins, changed needle, changed stabilizer, rethreaded machine, tried different thread.  I'm at a loss. All the forums and webpages have instructions for adjusting top tension, but say bobbin tension is factory set and shouldn't be adjusted. 

Any suggestions?  I'm trying to get my swap blocks done. 

Teresa, is your bobbin case horizontal, and do you have the small oiling wicking hole in the center of your bobbin case? I've sewn for decades but must admit I did not realize my electronic dm had that ONE bobbin case oiling spot until a couple years ago. That was because my bobbin tension was not working no matter what i tried, and it needed completely replaced. They asked my if I had been oiling it, before I had problems. Well of course not, I didn't know. Silly me assumed since it was electronic I didn't dare oil there. Yours may be completely different, but that was my problem the only time I had tension problems I couldn't fix. Maybe a piece of thread got wound around the underneath the bobbin case or finger? Hope you find it quickly and back in business.

Hi,

Yes your bobbin tension could be too tight....and even if you were able to tighten the top tension to balance the stitch...you would probably still get puckers cuz everything is too tight....you can adjust the bobbin tension by turning the little screw...just like you would on a longarm....but....you want to really make small adjustments....only a nudge at a time.....also...you can get tension problems caused by lint under the little spring piece...recommendations are to take a thin pin and gently put it under the spring and sweep outwards...even a little piece of lint can cause problems....also...it is a good idea to have your dealer or tech how to clean the bobbin area...it really can get stuff up...I brush my bobbin case out with every bobbin change...but about every 3-4 bobbins...I pop off the stitch plate and remove also the bobbin casing....how you do that varies on the type of machine...I don't have a brother...on my vikings (drop in bobbins), I remove the bobbin cover, then the stitch plate, then a little grey plastic thing...then I use a q tip to swipe all around the bobbin area and even turn the handwheel so I can get underneath all the bobbin area...I didn't know to do this until my dealer showed me....on my bernina...I open the bobbin cover, remove the bobbin, remove the stitch plate, release that clamp that holds the hook in place...remove the hook thingie and clean the area....also there are parts that need to be cleaned and lubricated periodically that should be done by a dealer or tech as it involves removing the covers which usually voids any warranty....some folks recommended having an extra bobbin case (sound familiar  :) for when you need to adjust the tension and maybe when doing specialty bobbin work.....I have adjust the tension on my regular case because it was too tight...I could barely pull a 60 weight bobbin thread through it.  I read somewhere that DSM bobbin cases do tend to tighten over time.  Also, I have had better luck not getting puckers in my embroidery when I do not hoop the fabric just the stablizer....My machine has a baste function that I use to attach my fabric to the stablizer...sort like "floating the top" I guess.   Lin

Thanks Lin, but there is no little screw anywhere that I can find. The bobbin just sits in the little hole. There isn't even a place to oil it, like Marci suggested. The owners manual goes so far as to say "do not place oil in the bobbin area"  and "bobbin tension will never need adjusted as it is factory set for optimal stitching results"

Yeah, whatever! It's too tight. I just can't figure out how to loosen it.  So, I fired the embroidery machine and I'll just make my blocks using the DSM and some Heat n Bond

Teresa, My embroidery machine is a Babylock, basically same as a Brother. I adjust the bobbin tension on it all the time. There is a tiny adjusting screw on the bobbin case, which actually looks like a black plastic part on the machine. It has the hole that the bobbin sits down in. You may have to take the plate off to get to it. As someone else said, it only takes very small adjustments to make a big difference. What brand of machine do you have? If it's anything like mine, I can try taking a photo for you.

I have a White 4400. I bought it used it only operates with a computer. It has a front drop in bobbin.there is a small screw on the black part where u drop in the bobbin.U can loosen it. But the bad news for me, was my top thread was going to the back. I got error messages. I had to time mine. Because there was no warranty. I had never worked on 1 before but I took the bottom off and turns out it was easy. Carol

I have the Viking D1-usb.  It too has the drop in bobbin, no obvious nor obscure place to adjust it.

These machines do not have a bobbin case to put the bobbin in, then put the case/bobbin in the

machine.

The case is built permanently into the machine, and in my case and we just take the bare bobbin and

drop it into the machine.  Nothing in the machine manual says anything about adjusting the bobbin

tension.  I think probably a certified tech would know something that can be adjusted, or to give a lot

of help.   I'd hope!

Lucky for me, the tension for embroidery is such that it does pull the top thread to the back, but does

not pucker nor expand the fabric.  I've learned to use bobbin thread to match the fabric.  To my mind

an embroidery should look nearly as good on the back as on the front, but I've never had either of my

machines stitch like that.  I'd love it!!

When the stitching makes the area lay larger than the original fabric, the stitches are too dense.. a

Different problem altogether.

Don't know if any of this is of help to anyone,

Rita, I suspect you are onto something.   I did take it apart and loosen the bobbin tension screw. It took two complete turns to get it loose enough.  But, I also wonder if the satin stitches are just too much in such a small space.  I tried another design this morning, a pre programmed one, and there was no puckering and the tension looked good. Went back to the flip flops and there is still a wee bit of puckering. 

What brand machine do you have, Teresa? 

I'm wondering in relation to mine.  I can't lift the darned thing out of the table we made, to look for adjustments.

Thanks for your tip, Sharon,  I'd not thought of that.  I'll use a stiffer stabilizer next time..

Rita.

Archived