Help "type of Bus." for business insurance

I'm sorry, I know this has been discussed but I cant find more than a couple of threads about it. 

My DH and I were at the insurance place today and we were getting a quote for insurance for my business.  I have a quote for a Business owners Policy (BOP) but the agent and I were  having a difficult time finding the "right" name to classify the "Longarm" business under.  We discussed embroidery (I can not spell), clothing/tailoring (because it involves fabric) but nothing seems right.  Does anyone have any suggestions, please!!!

TIA

Mine went under manufacturing using the code for drapery making.  They said because I create a finished product doing the quilting it would be manufacturing.   I think if you look up the code you used for your federal employer identification number /EIN that might help get the right code.  Soon the government will figure out how many of us there are and give us our own code.

What classification did you use when you registered your business? In my state I'm classified as "manufacturing". Ask your agent if you can use that classification. If they accept "clothing/tailoring" why not accept "quilting"--or maybe "sewing"? ;)

Interesting Topic: When I first went to my agent he came back and quoted my ins. premium as thought I was a Manufacturing business because that is what I'm listed as for IRS purposes. The first quote was very high. So he said that I did not need to use the same category for ins as I did for the IRS. I live in Oregon. He suggested that we try the "service" category for ins purposes as long as I had no employees and that me manufacturing a quilt from start to finish wasn't the primary function of my business. The quote for Ins. for a "Service" home business was almost 1/2 the cost of the first quote for a manufacturing home business.

I'm fully covered in my home or have a quilt hanging in a show, have a booth at a show or transport customer quilts in my car.

I realize States have different ins rules etc, but it's worth asking your agent.

Terry

Archived