binding question

It is my impression that the 25 cents price includes attaching the binding and sewing it down to the back. I charge a flat $20 to sew the binding to the quilt, if the binding is already cut, seamed and pressed. I would charge an additional flat fee if I had to cut, seam and press the binding, but have not had to do that yet. I sew binding on the DSM, and I base my fee on an hourly rate. Maybe you could keep track of your time if you are sewing binding down to the back by hand, and charge accordingly.

I charge a flat $30 to attach the prepared binding while the quilt is on the frame. It's quick and easy. The only drawback is if the quilt isn't square it stays that way--no trimming possible with this technique. I don't attach it to the back but all hand-sewing is charged by the hour.

I used to charge $3 per foot for prepping the binding (straight grain) sewing on the front on the DSM and hand-stitching the back. That figures out to .25 per inch.  I never had any takers! A friend at guild does this a lot cheaper just for spending money.

Archived