Bernina owner question

My Bernina Virtuosa (Virty) 153 QE has a hand-quilting stitch option on it, and after five years owning the machine I now tried to use it. I followed the instructions in the book to a t, and it doesn't work right. I get two stitches forward and one stitch back, instead of a straight running stitch which is what it's supposed to do. I believe that is called a back-stitch, and is not what I want. Have any of you Bernina owners ever had a problem like this? What did you do about it? I have called my LQS where I bought it, but had to leave a message as they are busy "helping other customers right now". Pooh. :(

I don't have a Bernina, but I do have that stitch on my Viking Designer. That is the way it is supposed to stitch. You are supposed to use a monofilament (invisible) thread on the top and then a white or offwhite bobbin thread. The 2 stitches forward are "invisible" and the one stitch back pulls up the bobbin thread to simulate the "hand stitched" look. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Another Patty.

Hi,

To get the "hand quilting" look stitch you need the clear or monofilament thread on the top, and preferably a good Polyester thread like Mettler's polyester in the bobbin. Polyester works best for the mock quilting stitch with the clear thread rather than Cotton. The reason being is you want the monofilament thread to glide well with the polyester in the bobbin to form a nice mock quilting stitch.

Cotton will "grab" at the monofialment thread, but this won't happen with the polyester.

Thanks, Sparkle. I wondered why my stitches didn't look like the stitches in the book. They are too far apart and too small, so that must be what's happening, as I do have the cotton on the bobbin. I will do as you suggest and see if it works better.

Isn't it amazing what a tiny difference like that can do to the look of something? I think it's fascinating.

Archived