Need help adjusting wheels - getting aggravated!

I have adjusted and adjusted, and the problem keeps getting worse! It's the front wheels. They are too tight and make the machine very hard to push from side to side. I'm having to muscle it.

I have loosened the bottom bolt, turned the top nut, etc., etc. The problem is worse when the machine is pushed back near the leveler bar. The front left wheel will not turn at all by hand, and the right front wheel is stiff. In the CD that came with the machine, Dawn said the wheels should turn by hand without much friction. I cannot change it by moving the top nut to any position. I have loosened the bottom bolt, but all that does is make the whole wheel assembly loose and wobbly.

P.S. I have had my Millenium for almost 4 years and have quilted well over 100 quilts. I'm not new to this.

-Ann :(

Is your machine on a rug? There was a post about this not long ago and the solution was to just make sure everything table-wise was level. I had the same thing happen to me and this thread that I mentioned really helped me. It doesn't take much of an adjustment to the level of the table to make a big adjustment in the response of your wheels. This may not be your problem---but when I couldn't get anywhere with fooling with my wheels, I did discover that my table had gotten slightly out of whack--probably from being on my carpet. I have had my Millenium for almost 2 years and the problem seemed to happen suddenly.

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

Hi Ann

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I think that it is very likely you have stripped the bolt and cams and if this is the case thats why, no matter what you do, you can't get the wheels adjusted correctly.

Have you checked the updated instructions for adjusting the wheels on this website - they are great. I check to see if there are updated instructions any time I need to work on my machine rather than going with what is in my older manual. AOPQS updated their manuals last year and the information is now awesome.

I also think that if you are having trouble pushing your machine away from you, it could be that the table back to front is not level. Place a spirit level in the centre of the table back to front and see if its reading level. if not adjust the bolts on the tension bar to make it level.

I suggest you ring APQS and order new bolts and cams and then when they arrive have them walk you through fitting them.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Thank you, Jill and Sue.

First, I will check to see if the machine is still level, because it is on carpet. I had not thought about that. If that doesn't do the trick, I will order new bolts and cams. However, I upgraded to the soft-mount wheels last year. Maybe I will put the old wheels back on.

How can I get from this forum to the place with the instructions for adjusting the wheels?

Hi Ann

Go to the homepage and on the left hand side halfway down you have troubleshooting its among those topics.

Don't go back to the old wheels, that would be such a shame I'm sure when you talk to tech support you'll get everything fixed.

Let us know how you go.

Sue in Australia

Hi Linda,

It is hard to say. They are sealed bearings so if a bearing goes bad, it just happens. You can't predict things like that. I know we have been using these same type of wheels for over 20 years so who knows why they just go bad like that. But please let us know if you have wheel issues and we will definately get you taken care of!

Take care,

Archived