Why is it a Baptist Fan?

I love the Baptist Fan quilting pattern, but it occured to me I had no idea why it's called "Baptist Fan". I googled it, but only got sites selling templates, or photos of people who had used the pattern.

Why is it called "Baptist Fan"? Why not Pentecostal Fan, or Catholic Fan, LOL.

Anybody know?

Mary

Maybe because the baptists dunk you into the water, sometimes several times. Kind of a repetitive motion. I am going to try the circle maker thing on my next quilt and may try to do the baptist fan if I can figure out how. It is one of those mystery wheel designs that I enlarged as it was a large print I was given from Hawaii. (Purple and white and black). The design was too large for the mystery wheel in the new calendar I recieved for Christmas.

Carol, thank you for those informative sites! After seeing the actual pattern, I believe it was called "Baptist Fan" to distinguish it from a Geisha fan or something. Baptists (having been one I know this) didn't believe in anything fancy, so if they had to use a fan they were like ping-pong paddles. I remember my mother had one that shape, and she was born and raised in Atlanta. Must have been a Southern thing, but called Baptist to point up the Baptist's penchant for plainness. Yup.

Baptists dunk you three times: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Oh no, wait - Holy Spirit, that's right. Holy Ghost is the Reformed or Missouri Synod Luth. I think. At least we have the Ghost in our Presby church we're in right now...... Oops, OT. Sorry. ;)

Hello, former Babtist...we did it once. Now Pentecostal, as often as you want, one dunk at a time! And yes, the pattern is named after the fans that were used before a/c. I remember picking one up in the foyer before going into the servce and then leavng it stuck in the hymnal pocket on the back of the pew in front so it would be there when we came back that night! I still see them in antique stores, they are collectable! They always had a biblical scene on teh front and some kind of advertsing on the back, not always funeral homes.

We sing all the old ones and all the new ones, too! We spend about an hour just singing! :D I am totally tone deaf, my grandmother was a soprano, my uncle a tenor and my dad a baritione and they used to sing together in church, she said I ways sing an octave off. Whatever THAT means! To me it sounds like harmony and that's how I sing! But the old hymns are the ones that pop in my head and I find myself humming them.

Archived