What your take on Decorator/Upholstry Fabric Jobs

I'm just taking a pole here.

How many of you have worked with large sheets of decorator fabric on your machine? What did you charge and did you mind the process?

Do you encourage doing these type of jobs or do you stay clear of them? If you do them where does the business come from?

I am working on two king well they are 130 x130. Both heavy but one is really heavy. Upholstry fabric.

I of course charge for doing these jobs but I consider it a specialty item. The quilting rules are somewhat different when working with these fabrics but hey I don't mind at all. CHU CHING!!!

Let me know if you have and would you do it again or any thoughts you might want to share on the subject.

Thanks,

Grammie Tammie

Tammie........I have several designers that I will quilt for and I charge for custom quilting. In my area we charge .02 or .03 depends on the quilting. My back ground is interior & archtecture design. The designer is making money from the fabric she is selling the client and does not usually up-charge your quilting. Don't give your work away as this client is willing to pay for a beautiful coverlet or comforter. I love working with the quilts more because I can be more creative.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rebecca/ The Cottage Quilter

Illinois

I love quilting too and creativity.

I also like to make money. Lots of it!! That doesn't mean I have to quilt for money. In fact I'm taking fewer customers these days but I love that people pay me to do something I love, love. That is just too cool I think. I could have been a stay home Mom if I had only known this before. lol

I have charged 4 to 5 cents so far depending on the design and size, It is all about time without the sacrifice of quality for me. I am about to do these two large one. One at .045 and one at .05. They are going to take a while to do. One is in 2" clam shells and at over 120 inches that is 60 plus rows on the CQ. Wow that even sounds like forever to me now that I am typing it out loud. lol

I am about to do one that has the heaviest fabric I have personally quilted before. I'm interested in finding out how well it looks when I'm all done. But I will love it when they hand me the pay check. I love it!! Then I'll get creative. lol

I wouldn't attempt these type of services if I didn't have a CQ. The CQ reduces the labor intensity and gets you through it in such a better time frame without killing your back and neck. I love my CQ and MILLI.

I don't like working with the real heavy deco fabric. I have had a few decorators call me, but they never come through with the project. I did have one lady put the whole quilt together with cording and then wanted me to quilt it. We did have a conversation previous to this which I told her I needed all three pieces separate. I didn't quilt it plus it was a thick cording and I couldn't get my hopping foot over it.

Good talking to you yesterday, Tammie. Hope mama dog showed up again.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I am also curious about this. I'm considering investing in a computerized system down the road and would probably incorporate this kind of work to help pay it off. For those of you who work with the designers, do they expect you to finish the job or just do the quilting?

I always thought the quilting would be less dense on the comfortors. Is this not the case?

Kay

It is your job the quilter to educate the designer with what service you provide and what their obligations are in order for you do provide that service. Many are just simply unaware of the process. Much like quilt piecers in a way.

Remember THE QUILTER is in charge with regard to what you do and don't do. I have found that once they are educated on the process they more than likely will follow the rules. In my experiecence I work with the SEWER or drapery maker and they do the prep work. IT sorta a team effort you might say.

It is all about making sure all parties understand their role and responsibility. So far it is working for me. I am confortable being very forward on what I do and don't do. That's just me. I find it is appreciated so far.

I have worked with some of these heavy fabrics. Have used some for quilt

backings and that worked just fine. I don't really like them in a pieced top -

it can be done - but man those seems can be really thick!! Oh - the cording

yuck! that would NOT work..... silly people - what were they thinking??

Archived