Piecing the backing

A customer told me yesterday that she never wants the backing seam right in the middle lengthwise, because it causes permanent creases if the quilt is folded. Have you ever heard of this?

How do you prepare your backing? Do you always have two seams in the back, or do you run one down the middle? Do you press your seams open, or to one side?

I have received quilts done all sorts of ways. I quilt them as presented to me. Sometimes, I am asked to prepare the backing, so wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

Jill

I was taught that the only seams that get pressed open are on the pieced backing.

As far as seams, I like vertical seams. The center is width of fabric and the sides are the width of fabric SPLIT and sewn onto each side of that WOF center piece.

If I had to do a horizontal, I would offset it so the seam is NOT in the middle because of the fold.

What do the rest of you folks say?

I've always done mine the same way Linda does, on the vertical, but if I were doing it horizontally I would still use wideth of fabric in the middle and then add the rest top and bottom, just seems more balanced and wouldn't have seams in the fold lines. I fold my quilts a different way every time I fold, also. sometimes I roll them up instead of folding. Pressing seams? Never worried about it since I've always been a handquilter and don't SID for that. To me seams are seams and they are all thick! Until I satrted hanging out here it never occured to me that a sewing machine would have a hard time with seams. I can't imagine that! Iff I can handle them with just my fingers why would a machine have a problem with it?

The latest rage at my Guild is elaborately pieced backers--I feel a headache comin' on! Some want them centered, which is sometimes a challenge. Some are wonky with "creative piecing". Give me a nice fat back any day! I ask for all seams pressed open and warn that "centered" is subjective. So far, so good.

As far as a center seam on the backer, after quilting, it doesn't seem to matter--the top is all reinforced from stitching. Folding for storage can be done in any way that works for you. A recent magazine article showed how to fold corners down so you have no vertical or horizontal folds--only diagonal. Refolding in storage is always suggested.

Thick seams from pressing to one side are a problem with any sewing machine, but on your DSM you can slow way down to climb over those mountains. On the longarm, built-up seam intersections are where one will have thread breakage. Unless you have SR it isn't possible to slow down in those spots. Just my two cents worth!

Linda Rech

Mom suggested that I sew a back like you suggested Linda. It looks lovely from an appearance standpoint. Also trim the salvages so that there isn't a stronger section of fabric. On the front roller the seams stacked on top of one another to form a ridge that made that area tight where the fabric in between was a tiny bit saggy. I had been told to request seams to run crosswise so that when the back is rolled on the LA there isn't this uneven tension. I'm with you guys on the fat backs. How wonderful.

Vicki

Did anyone see John Flynn on Fons and Porter where he showed a diagonal seam? It was really cool. I think he was demonstrating how to get more fabric out of a piece. You cut diagonally, then shift one up. It was like magic! Plus, I think the diagonal seam creates less bulk.

I know this probably isn't the best explanation, I'll see if I can find a better one.

That was a great tip--the man's a genius!

He had a diagram that showed a rectangle of yardage. You cut a diagonal from upper left to lower right and then slide the right side down the diagonal until your width is where you want--the fabric widens more the farther you slide. Try it with a piece of paper and you can see how it works. The only waste are the two right- triangles you cut from each end.

I remember he said he had a chart to figure yardage but I don't know if he offers it for sale. Another bonus is that if you mount this on the frame, that seam spirals along and there is no stacking of the seam. I'm sure you must sew those bias edges together carefully to avoid stretching, but I guess that's what pins and a walking foot are for!

Bless you, John Flynn!

Linda R

Like Linda R. I've had a lot of "fancy" backs coming in.

But, ahem, I think I'm the guilty one here. I may have started that in our guild way back before I had my own machine, and I blush to think I asked my quilter, (dear friend and mentor today - thank goodness) to actually center the darn thing for me. I had this kooky idea of using up all the fabric I had overbought by putting it all on the back, and then if my mother who I was making the quilt for didn't like the front (she didn't) then maybe she would like the back better (she does).

Ah, us nutty quilters.

But now I am reformed. I still like pieced backs, but it's best if the seams are larger than 1/4". I think 3/8" works best, and pressed open. If they come to me not pressed open then I try to work them open at the machine with my little portable iron as the seams roll over the bar when loading.

As important as seams is SQUARE. I just love a perfectly square back and I just had one that was pieced and square on all four sides. I gave her much kudos and pats on the back and asked her to please, please, please teach everyone she could how to prepare a backing for the longarm quilter.

And, oh yes, NEVER use the selvages inside the quilt. Selvages are created as part of the process of making the fabric but are not intended as usuable fabric and need to be removed. But if they are on the outside edges of the back they are handy to pin to.

PS: Jill, you ARE charging to piece the backs, right? Good girl! ~~ Eva H.

Archived