My Fantastic Thursday

This one was actually finished last week. We delivered it to the piecer on our way out of Tennessee for Thanksgiving.  It is a strip pieced QOV. I just SID the strips, piano keys in the outer border, cross hatch behind the embroidered medals.  The second photo shows the veteran receiving his quilt this week. He is from Murfreesboro, TN area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtconcessions/11229010396/

I love that!  I need to share a story...

My niece invited us to attend a Veteran's day event at her Middle school and a vietnam vet who was now a retired marine spoke.  He told what it was like to be in vietnam, how they grew to love the people they worked with and helped them to farm, etc., how he lost his best friend just 2 weeks before his friend was due to go home and meet his newborn son for the first time, and how when he returned to the US a hippie in the 70's spit on him during a parade and called him names.  He punched the hippie and was thrown in jail and then lived the next 40 years depressed and never talked much about what he went through.  He said that no one appreciated what they did and how much they gave during that war. Instead of thanking them for their sacrifices and service, they were jailed and treated like criminals and hated.

Then he proceeded to pull a QOV out of a pillowcase and wrapped it around himself and said no one seemed to care until one day about a year ago this came in the mail and he said "someone finally cared enough to thank him for his service" ….there wasn't a dry eye in the auditorium including him.  I could not wait to go up and speak to him afterward as I told him that I had quilted several but never got to see the receiving end of someone receiving a quilt.  It was quite emotional!  So all this to say….I don't think we realize how much this means to those that receive the QOV's!  But it means more than we know….

I just had to share this story!

That is sooooo awesome!!!! What a wonderful story! My older brother was a Vietnam Vet and also felt very unappreciated. I made him my own Quilt of Valor  two or three years ago; he enjoyed it for a year and then passed away. His widow absolutely adores it. It still makes me feel good thinking about it.

Archived