Sewing machine s aved from the dump

I wish I had a photo to post.  I dropped off scissors for sharpening today, and Joe walks over to his table to show me a hand crank 1870's era Singer sewing machine that was saved from the dump.  The woman who found it saw it in the back of a pick up, and only knew that there was a sewing machine.  I wish I had further details, and I wish I'd been the one to look in that truck!

Some folks have no idea!!!  I tell my hubby all the time that if I pass unexpectedly, don't have a giant garage sell.  There are things just sitting around here that look innocent enough but are actually priceless (well, not to every body!).  Example, I have a vase that I got from a favorite aunt when we got married.  It looks harmless enough but it is leafed with 18K gold.  Yelp.  I guess she couldn't think of anything else to give us.  Now Mike would just put this on a card table and put $1 on it and be done.  And I'd trade it for a hand cranked machine! 

My neighbor had someone visit her husband recently.  He looks in her sewing room and said 'Wow, your wife has several hundred dollars of equipement in there".  She owns a top of the line Bernina, all the software, has a brand new serger with the air threading etc.  If he only knew...

Sylvia,

I know what you mean about the vase.  Our family has one that my grandmother put a note inside of.  Tells who made it, that it's important.  I think that we had it at the garage sale and marked $1, until someone thought to look more closely. 

I know that I sold something at the garage sale that was obviously worth more than the $25 that I asked for it, but at least he got a deal. 

My neighbor had someone visit her husband recently.  He looks in her sewing room and said 'Wow, your wife has several hundred dollars of equipement in there".  She owns a top of the line Bernina, all the software, has a brand new serger with the air threading etc.  If he only knew...

Well...he was right, it is hundreds, just tens of hundreds! :lol:

Archived