For ruler work, Do I need a base expander or Hartley base?

I would like to Sid and do ruler work with my new to me Lennie  I wonder what the difference between the base expander and the Hartley base and then there's the Donita base ?  Does a base for a Millie fit a Lennie or do have to buy one  made just for the Lennie?   Help Please!  Homa in Ky.

The Hartley base is a base expander and the Millie I beleive will not fit the Lennie. You really do need a base expander if you want to do ruler work, it helps support the ruler. Someone else maybe able to tell you about Donita's base, I have a Hartley and love it.  I can remove it easy enough when not doing ruler work.

I have donita reeves ruler mate and love it.  The ends are beveled and the clamps slide easily over it.  The base that came with my machine would hit the clamps and jerk when I was quilting.  I just hated that.  I leave the ruler mate on all the time, but some members have had trouble getting in touch with her.  There was a post a little while ago.

Thanks to all for  sharing your expertise.   I guess Hartley is just the name of the base expander and the other parts for the APQS machines.  What is a Hartley Fence?  I saw in the catalog there is a big difference in price  for the two of them.   Thanks again,    Homa in Ky

What is a Hartley Fence?  I saw in the catalog there is a big difference in price  for the two of them.   Thanks again,    Homa in Ky

The Hartley fence is a tool to make diagonal lines, cross hatching and circles.

The Hartley ruler base slides on and off of the bed of the machine so you can do ruler work.

That said, there are several different (Hartley) tools for different things you want to do. Hartley also makes the spool and cone holder, among other goodies to pimp out your ride.

Archived