Backing - vertical or horizontal ?

My backing has to be 102" square. My material is standard 42" wide (I have 8.5 yds). Do I prepare strips to be sewn vertically or horizontally? Either way, do I prepare the strips the same size (approx 35" each) or do I cut 2 big and 1 smaller for the middle?

The quilt has 12" blocks (5 x 5) with sashing and then 2 borders, total finished width will be 90". This will be my first quilt on my Millie after alot of PPP.

Would appreciate some help! Thanks to all.

Sue

You can piece the backer in any configuration that works for you and makes the best use of materials. Try for as few seams as possible that T into each other. Since your backer will be a square, your loading configuration is more important, with the seams running horizontal/parallel to the rollers for ease of quilting. If your backer was rectangular, then the decision on how to piece the backer takes more planning.

Your thought of "two bigger and one smaller for the middle" is the most pleasing look for the backer, but with busy fabric the seams don't really matter since it's the back and they'll be almost invisible. And that would be the most economical use of the fabric and the fewest seams to stitch. That said, keep seams far enough away from the potential edge of the top as you can so there's no chance of the edges wandering close to the seams. 

You'd be better off keeping your seams as horizontal as possible.  As you know, your backing will roll up onto the roller and, where the seam is, the additional thickness will cause distortion, possibly causing sagging on either side.  It is possible to control this, but it does make it easier to get puckers in the back unless you're really paying attention.  On my own quilts, I always use one piece of fabric - wide quilt backings.  1) I don't have time to piece backings, 2) wide backings are much more economical, 3) any scraps I have can be nicely made into scrap quilts.  I'm never tempted to put them on the back.

Linda, how can you keep the seams away from the potential edge of the top?  Won't the seam go to the edge of the back?  I guess I don't understand what you mean.  Thanks

To clarify, that is advice for it's necessary to load the backer with the seams vertical because of size constraints or directional patterns. So many times I will get a customer backer where they added a three or four inch wide strip to all sides of the backer to make it large enough for "longarm rules" of at least three inches extra all around. Unfortunately, that usually means the edges of the top will be sitting right up against those backer seams. And the chance of wandering over those seams is about 100%, especially if the top is wonky (or loaded a tiny bit off absolute square). I've had extra fabric added this way where the strips were very contrasting with the rest of the backer fabric and again, any deviation off perfectly square will show up as a slightly slanted seam on the back, which is very noticeable if the strips are narrow.

Just as Linda Steller advises, I try to educate my customers of the joys of extra-wide backers. The cost of the fabric when you calculate the actual area of fabric bought is the best deal at the quilt shop. And leftovers make great binding fabric, with fewer seams to sew.

Thanks to Linda and Peggy for their insight. I too would prefer extra-wide backing, but I was unable to find any here (Luxembourg) to match the quilt. So I'm obliged to piece. I can understand the logic of piecing vertically (Linda's advice) because of the borders and piecing of a quilt; as well as piecing horizontally (Peggy's advice) because of the eventual distortion as the quilt is backed up on to the back roller. I think I will measure the placement of the major piecing elements and try and cut the strips so that when sewn together they will not match up with the piecing. Does that make sense?

Thanks to all for their advice and opinions - it's wonderful to have this forum!

Sue

Archived