Start A Quilt

Hi Mary. Start at the top.

After reading Linda's reply, I now wonder if your question is about the configuration of the actual top (like if it's directional) or if you're wondering about where to start quilting when the pieces are loaded onto the frame. I do as Linda does and load the backer and top in any way that will cause the least problems when loading and stitching. Sometimes the quilt top is upside down, but I can still quilt it.

If your question is about where to start quilting/stitching, it's at the top edge as you've loaded it.

If you've loaded the top to the front leaders, you need to roll it up onto the roller completely and then unroll enough to pin or stitch the top edge through the batting and backer at the top to secure it. Make sure it's straight (horizontal and parallel to the rollers) before you secure it. Then the top will unroll onto the batting as you advance the quilt. If you float your tops, use the same procedure but let the top hang down with the batting and straighten and secure it after every advance. 

(I've on occasion started in the middle of a medallion-style quilt after copious pin-basting of all the areas of the upper part of the top.)

I usually start my quilting closest to the back roller.  If I don't quilt the outside area first then I pin the "snot" out of any unquilted areas....

Not always is the top of the quilt closest to the back roller.  That is usually the longest edge or the edge of the wide backing fabric that had the selvedge.

Archived