How to increase size of pieced pattern table runners

I've been asked by my church to do a couple of table runners the size of those large Costco tables that fold down.  These would be used when there are potlucks to hold the hot food bowls.  I'm assuming I'd need to have both batting and the head resistant fabrics inside - not sure what this means for the quilting part with both fabrics inside.

My problem is that there are no patterns for piecing this that are the exact size of these tables.  How in the world do you take a table runner pattern and increase it to be exactly the size of the Costco table top.  I want to do a really good job on this however I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and increase a pattern to fit.

If anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate knowing how you did it.   Thanks....Mercedes

If you do not have to use a specific pattern you could do it like a sampler, making a variety of blocks sized so there are two across the width of the table, with sashing and cornerstone between, and a plain border around.  We have a similar table in the corner of the garage and I cannot get at it but I think it is 32" wide so if that is the width of your tables you could make the blocks 12" with 2" sashing and 3" border, making the runner 32" wide.  If the 12" blocks and 2" sashing and 3" border do not work for the lengthwise measurement you could adjust the outside border to fit the table  I hope that makes sense. 

Or, you could make 20" blocks, set on point with cornerstones is about 28", and then add a border to achieve the appropriate width.  Make enough blocks to go the length of the table.

If you are making it, then why can't you make it the way you want?  Since there will be bowls/food stuff covering most of the design, I would go for very simple...such as plain sq blocks sewn together to get the size you need.  The extra heat resistant fabric and batting shouldn't be a problem quilting, but you might need to change your needle afterward.  The quilting can add to the decoration of the runner to make it a bit more special.

If there are blocks, just add additional fabric around the blocks and then put them together with sashing to make the size you need.  If it is a single design pattern take it to Kinko's or a UPS store and have it enlarged to the size you need.  If you need help drafting your pattern let me know and I will do my best to help you.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas.  The pattern that was picked has two rows of designs down the table runner separated by a background fabric.  We're going to piece a "sample" row of the design  to get a better idea of how this looks visually.   We'll use this "sample" to lay on the table top to determine if it's the right width for the table top.  If the design width works then we'll make two rows of the designs and add the background fabric on each side and down the middle - that way we can adjust the size of the background fabric to meet the table size.

Problem solved!  Thanks!   Mercedes

Archived