Silk Thread

I have been thinking about silk thread lately. For those who use it, how do you decide where to use it. I get that you likely wouldn't use it on a every day type of quilt, but why silk and not another type of thread like say bottom line or something else. Just looking for some clarity. Thanks, K

I use silk thread all the time on my George…for show quilts & wallhangings, not for baby quilts or bed quilts.  Silk runs beautifully in the machine and has a soft sheen rather than the shine I see with synthetic threads.  I use it as you would use monofilament, to outline appliqués & ditch patchwork because it is so thin.  I also use it for dense background fill and feathers because it doesn't build up or show the backtracking.  I usually match the thread color to the background or use one shade darker when I want to see only the texture.  I have seen others use the complement to the background color to great effect.  It can make a solid background look almost like a 'shot' cotton or silk.

For some people, the price of thread is an issue.  I don't quilt for others…I'm only working on my own quilts.  I have never been happy with Bottom Line (although I know that many people like to use it).  I have had more success with Wonderfil's products: Invisafil & Decobob.  Still, I like the look of silk best and will continue to use it on top and in the bobbin for my show quilts.

That's my two cents.   Nancy in Tucson

I only use silk on special quilts.  It has a softness to it not found in bottom line or other thin threads.  I have used it tone on tone for background fills, you get the texture but not the thread build up, especially well suited to those fills that require lots of backtracking or stacking the stitches like pebbles.  My recent use was on the BAQ that I did.  The stitches really sunk in and let the applique shine.  

Checking back in & glad that I'm on the same page with Heidi  :)

I use both the Superior Kimono silk and the silk thread from YLI.  Although both are labeled as 100 weight, I think the YLI thread is finer.  The Superior is more easily available.  I love the colors in YLI but both run very well in the machine.  Let us know how you do with it!   Nancy in Tucson

Archived