very slow needle up/down

grannyju

I have a 2007 Millenium.  It has recently started moving extremely slow in the needle up/down mode.  It happens when the room is the slightest bit cool.  It sews fine when just stitching.  Does this have anything to do with the little gold screw?  Or does it need something replaced? 

Julie

Julie, that sure sounds like the #8 screw (the little gold one).  There should be an appendix in your manual about the "Needle Up/Down Positioner" that gives you step-by-step instructions and a good picture for finding that pesky screw.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll email you that portion of the manual.

OK.  I've adjusted that screw before when it was stitching more than one stitch.  So I just need to turn it the other way a little I guess.

When the room is pretty warm it doesn't slow down much.  Hopefully adjusting the screw will help.    Thanks.

Julie, on some machines, the adjustment for Needle Up/Down is very temperature-sensitive.  My first Millie was that way.  If you adjust it to go faster, you may find that, near the end of a quilting session, your machine will start throwing those extra stitches.  I found it easier to accept a little bit slower up/down and not risk the extra stitches at the end of the day or when it gets warm in the studio.  You'll find a happy medium, I'm sure!!

Archived