Quilt preservation

I have read many articles on quilt preservation on-line. Many quilt/textile museums have websites with loads of information.

Are you leaning towards sharing how to store/ preserve contemporary quilts or are you wanting to know how to stop deterioration of vintage quilts?

Heavy use/love of a quilt and the subsequent laundering is of course, the main reason for wear. Fabric thins, binding shreds from worn edges, and sitting on the same spot on the bed to put on your shoes or tugging when making the bed can cause threads to snap.

The main causes of deterioration of vintage quilts that didn't get heavy use and laundering are exposure to light, contact with raw or stained wood in storage, and dye disintegration causing fabric loss. And sometime critters like silverfish or larger four-footed companion animals. ;)

So, the way to stop deterioration in a vintage quilt and to keep a newer quilt beautiful is to avoid all those things. Sunlight, folding, extreme changes in temperature, storing in plastic or up against wood, heavy use and laundering, really anything that will stress the fabrics and stitching. The dye disintegration in vintage fabrics has been proven to be caused by mordants in the dying process that eventually eat the fabric away. More prevalent in browns and some blues---and not a problem with modern dyes. 

Another thing you might want to cover is how to do minimal repairs to keep a vintage quilt strong enough to continue to be displayed.

Bev Dunivent is a member of my guild and gave a talk about the different ways to not "restore" but to "maintain" a vintage quilt. Some quilts may be in a state where the damage is widespread and she says the best thing to do is to fold it so the pretty parts are visible and display over a chair or behind glass in an armoire.

At the next level, minor fabric loss can be covered with an applique of same-era fabric or a reproduction fabric to make it cosmetically pleasing for display at the end of a bed or on a bench. Very valuable quilts should be sent to a conservator for repairs. And Patty Jo "saved" a vintage quilt by stitching netting over the ragged fabrics without it showing very much. So an heirloom of great sentimental value had its life extended for a few more generations.

Use Google to search for quilt preservation and I'm sure you'll find a treasure trove of information.

Thanks Linda and Vicki for the information and after reading these I feel like I am not knowledgeable enough to share on this topic because some of it I had no idea was out there . I was looking at both to preserve. I will have to read on to find out more. Any others input would be greatly appreciated.

Well I don't know if it is something I would like to do I would have to try it and see. I have been asked in the past about fixing some old quilts but turned it down because I didn't even know where to begin. At least I could tell someone the basics of how to. I ordered the book hoping it turns out to be of great information. If you can't tell I am rather timid on the speaking in public issue especially when I feel less than knowledgeable of a subject let alone knowing what I am talking about.

Archived