Thank You Beth Durand!

I had my beginners class today with Beth and it was Great! Beth is my local APQS rep and (to come completely clean) she has been very patient dealing with my schedule. My DW and I have traveled quite extensively in the last year which has massively impacted my time to assemble Miss Millie. This has been compounded by my DW's participation in a few major Art shows for which she needed my help and support...however it finally happened...and I am so excited...can't wait to spend time with Miss Millie over the coming months.

I will likely never equal the level of skill you all demonstrate but I will enjoy trying to get there!

Of course there was one bad thing that came out of the class...and it's going to cost money to fix...Beth brought the crosshatch ruler set that Linda Rech's DH makes...if you are reading this Linda...there is a PM on its way...those are wayyy cool.

Now to try to remember all that Beth showed me...

Dave, it's great that ou will be able to have fun with your milli.. I think you will be able to quilt as well as most on this forum.. if you practice and practice and practice...

Jamie Wallen told us that he tries to practice designs on paper, up to 8 hours per day, by using 3 min. here and 30 there. When in a booth, before the show opens, or during a lull, he practices.. the same thing, like the same leaf, over and over, and more than one page at a time, then use the same basic shape and slightly diff stroke in some place, like the vein, and do the same, over and over. You are training your brain, eye and hands to make that shape when you get to your machine.

Also, two big things is do NOT use a death grip, make it light as with finger tips of one hand.. and remember to breathe, keep the body relaxed, train the body to step to the side, or slide to the side as you practice..

All these tiny things contribute to your quilting.

Good luck, Mr. You will do just fine, and please, post picts.

Rita

Archived