Not quilt related - Sewing on Silk

Has anyone ever tried to sew silk scarves with rolled hems together?  Have friend who is trying this and wants the rolled hems to stay on top of each other (don't really understand myself).  She is trying to construct a kimono with this method.  She has made one with hand stitching and would like to construct them via a faster method than hand sewing.  Tried on her machine, but they would slip and want to join as a regular seam.  Sounds impossible to me - but thought maybe someone here has had some experience with this kind of product.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marilyn

Starch, lots of starch. Perhaps use the liquid starch, and don't iron but smooth the fabric over a flat board until dry.Then she should use an edge joining foot. At least I think it is called that. It will butt the two edges together, but not overlap them.

Debbie

Thank you , ladies.  I will pass on your suggestions.   And hopefully she will give them a try.   Haven't garment sewn (only on rare occasions) since I discovered quilt making. 

Her project seems rather interesting; but not as interesting as quilt making.

Thanks again.  I never hesitate to ask for help on this forum even when it is not quilt related.

Marilyn 

Archived