Silly mistakes

So today I quilted the third baby quilt. Not sure if I liked the pattern as much but figured that the practice is good. Decided that I'd load up another practice quilt but this one is made from odds and ends in the stash. It'll become a car quilt .. fun colors but not a worry if it's not the greatest looking at the end. So I finished pinning on the backing and thought that something looked a bit off. Turns out that I forgot to put the end under the Quilt Top bar first. Duh!

Also I'm not sure how to pick up the bobbin thread once I've stopped quilting. Is there a video that shows that part? 

Having a lot of fun and am learning something new each time. Am sooooo glad that we chose Freddie. He's my new BFF.   :P

If you are tying and burying your thread ends, move the needle about 3 inches from where you stopped and then do a needle up/down. Tug on the top thread to bring the bobbin thread up and cut both. Then pull on the top thread to bring the bobbin thread to the top where your stitching ends. I tie a knot and then use a needle that the thread pops through on the top of the eye to slide the treead tails in between the batting. I only tie and bury on my show jackets and quilts.

When I bring up the threads, I needle down/up, move the needle as far as I need to clip and tie, then move it more for the thread you need to restart.   I need roughly 9-10" for that.

I then return to where the sewing ended, and holding the threads you just measured out, needle up/down again.  pull the threads to the top, and move the machine about 4 inches, then clip all the threads close to the quilt.  That gives enough thread to tie and tuck,  and enough to hold when you start the next sewing.

you may have to work a bit to get the bobbin thread to the same length just before you clip it. 

I forgot about how easy it is to thread a needle made for those with sight challenges and the blind.

Thanks for the reminder, Jennifer.  It really makes it easier and wouldn't use so much thread.

Archived