bobbin winder problems

My bobbin winder doesn't work for me most of the time. It (and Me!) are brand new, so it should work perfectly. I must be doing something wrong, but darn if I can figure out what! I put the bobbin on the bobbin winder, turned it on, pusheed the thingy over and the bobbin wound nicely. I did it once more. Very nice. The next 10 times I tried, nothing would happen. The motor whirred, the wheel spun, but the bobbin stayed still and would not wind. My son got it to wind, finally, and wound several for me. Days later I tried to wind more bobbins. One wound. After that, it just sat there for five or six tries. Then suddenly, it started turning, wound a tiny bit on the outside then jumped inside and wound another bobbin. After that, nothing again. It was suggested on another board that I widen the split a tiny bit to keep the bobbin on better. I did try very gently to do so last night, but it didn't seem to work. It is still acting very iffy.:o

Hi Sue,

Yes, make sure that the bobbin is fitting on the spool snug. If it slips of you can spin it freely on the spindle, than you do need to seperate it some more so that the bobbins won't slip and therefore will wind properly. Check your bobbins too, if you have some that slip and some that are tight, you may have some bad bobbins. If this is the case and you got them from us, please call us and we can replace them for you.

Good luck!

Mark APQS

Jean --

Thanks much for that advice. This is something I will try next time I wind bobbins. Some bobbins work very well and I had finally realized lately that it was those that are slightly looser that don't. I hadn't thought of trying batting to make them fit better.

It's sure nice to have access to other people's ideas here.

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD:D

Question - I'm having the opposite problem. The 18 new bobbins I have - not a single one will fit on the little post for winding. The one on the machine (when it was shipped) slides on and off smoothly so I would doubt it's the post. However, 18 bad bobbins?

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks - and Happy Holidays.

Kathy A

(Brand Spankin New Liberty User)

Hi Kathy

Congratulations on your new Liberty!! I just love mine to death!!! Regarding the bobbins being too loose...to fix this insert a slotted screw driver on the post that the bobbins slide onto and give it a SLIGHT twist. This will open up the post and the bobbins will now fit the post. Just do this a little at a time to avoid snapping the post in 2.

Hope this helps...Happy Holidays!

Wanted to let you know that the temperature affects the bobbins on the winder. I live in chilly new england - where it's been below zero. My studio is only heated when I'm out there and then only enough to be comfortable with a sweater on. Adjusted winder bobbin post and bobbins wound fine last night. Brought it in the nice warm toasty house today to wind bobbins after I had lunch - guess what. The bobbins were all too loose. The warmth must have expaned the metal. Made quite a difference. Guess I'll keep it in one place - out in chill land.

Later,

Kathy A.

I got a little overzelous when I had to open the tension up on my winder.

I went down to the garage, while my husband was snoring in the lazyboy, and got a pair of pliers and a charcoal grill lighter. (the ones with the long nose that you use to light your grill, fireplace, candles, etc.)

I took the pair of pliers, squeezed the tension back together, then took the

lighter and used it to warm up the pin so it would stay, it only takes a few seconds.

I did actually loosen it up too much, but then I just took the screwdriver and opened it back up a tad.

Please be careful when you are doing this, the oil and the electricity can be dangerous.

Now, I am sure the service techs will really appreciate me posting this one, LOL

Blessings and hugs

Tracey.

Hi Sue,

I too had problems with my bobbin when I got my machine this year. The winder would wind but the bobbin would stand still. I thouhgt it was me too. I then adjusted the metal slpit pin where the bobbin sits on(increasing the tension), it worked once but then it stopped turning the bobbin. I then realised the centre hole in the bobbin is too big, I had them replaced by APQS and the new ones work perfectly. I think there was a bad batch. (only a opinion). This is only a thought looking at the way my domestic machine locates the bobbin it wouldn't matter if the hole is slightly bigger, because it is located and the bobbin has to wind anyway. It would be great to have something like that on our bobbin winders.

All the best Sue and happy quilting!

Simone;)

Mark,

I have a different problem with the most recent batch of bobbins I purchased. Each time I wind a bobbin from this batch, the two disks spread apart a little more. This makes the bobbin too wide to fit in the bobbin case. That is, it goes in but sticks out just a bit so that when I put it in the machine it's too tight and acts like a brake so the bobbin won't spin. I'm not over filling the bobbins. I stop at 3/4 full and still have the problem. I often have to toss bobbins in the trash and I have to keep an unused bobbin handy so I can check the width of a bobbin after I wind it.

Have you heard of anyone having a problem similar to this? Any suggestions.

• 7 months later...

I had a different winder problem yesterday. I was winding bobbins with Bottom Line. The bobbin wound nicely but the winder did not shut off until about a bobbins worth of thread had wrapped around the bobbin holder spindle.

It happened with several different metal bobbins (I watched it and flicked the switch with the tip of my scissors before I created the huge mess the first one made. Do I need to do something with the little screw next to the switch? Ideas?

Thanks

Sara S. (learning my Millenium)

Archived