Spiderwebs anyone??

I just had a client give me a YBR with Halloweenie fabric, and she said when she bought the kit, the sample was quilted with spiderwebs. I don't want to do a panto, but rather some large free motion spiderwebs.

I have an idea on how they may workout. Make a long line, then a scallopy swoop over to where the next line would be and then cross the first line, repeat that a couple of times till I have 4 or so lines crossing and then just go round and round with scallopy swoops till I get to the middle. Does that make sense?

Does anyone have any input, or maybe you can direct me to some pics of spiderwebs in the quilting???

Thanks in advance...

Hi Caron,

You can make a base of two or three crossing long lines, then work your way out from the middle to the outer lines with scalloped figures, widening to the outline of the crossing long lines.

When I make a spider's web, I make 3 irregular basic lines, and start again in de middle for the scalloped lines, which I make random. I have found a lot of pictures of spider's webs on the internet, and have made some myself, to see how a wheelweb spiced makes its web. And it works out fine to do it freehand, because webs are never the same in size.

A story of a man that was teasing a spider: a wheelweb spider made its web, and it was perfect. It took her an hour. Resting in a corner from all its work, a man came by, and ruind the web, just for the fun of it. The spider just made a new one, this time a little faster, and the web was done. The man was back, and ruind the web again. The spider was furious, but made another web, and the man ruind it again and so on. Untill the spider was very tired, and waited until the man was finally gone. She made her final web out of one thread and a couple of scalloped threads to support it, and thought to herself: if a fly doesn't like it, they can go to another web. I am done.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

The Netherlands

Europe

www.sylkamode.com

Hi Caron,

With 2 boys that love spiders I have quilted a few, they are really pretty easy!

I have attached a picture, they quilt up quickly doing free hand & they are continuous.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Oh boy, someone else has seen the quilt on quiltville.com and loves it, too"! But, whole different topic!

Has everyone looked on quiltville, great site....and I will make the spiderweb quilt she has posted...had already thought of quilting it with spiderwebs, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to search for web pages of sample quilting like the spiderwebs, this was a great picture that I can safe for future reference. But if I want to search the web and find something in particular, what would I start with and / or what would be a quick way of finding some. These are so cool for ideas for us new machine quilters. Thanks so much for sharing.

Is there a web page a group I can join that will do the same?

Here are some of my quilts, mostly where others have quilted for me now I'm trying to learn to do my own and there are a few of my own here (I think)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557731087tDBuDV?track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/friendsfun&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullAlbum

Lindy

Archived