Needle size

I am starting a quilt that has a black backing and lots of black on the top. I'm having trouble with the threads in the fabric turning and showing white along the line of stitching. I am using a 4.0 needle (that's the only size I have right now). Will using a smaller needle help with this problem?

Carol

What kind of fabric is it?  If it's Moda, the problem is probably the fabric, not the needle size.  Make sure you are using a new sharp needle.  Check the point often to be sure it doesn't get damaged while you're quilting.  (I check by running my fingernail down the point on all sides.  If I detect even the slightest burr, I change the needle)

That being said, I've recently gone from a 4.0 to a 3.5 as my standard needle and have seen no problems from more needle flex.  I do use titanium coated needles, and they may be a bit stiffer than the chrome.  The smaller needle produces a smaller hole and initially it looks better.  I think after the quilt is handled the holes disappear.  I don't think the smaller needle will overcome the problem however.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived