Is Laser or Golden Threads easier to use?

juliagraves

A friend wants me to quilt some stencils on a quilt for her, and I've never done this before. She used a blue pencil to mark two of the patterns, but then decided to test it, and the pencil isn't coming out of her sample very well, so she asked me not to use a marking tool.

I've never done this before, and have thought about using either the laser in front to guide me, or Golden Threads paper. Any advice? When I've used Golden Threads on my DSM, I really disliked picking out all the little bits of paper. The pattern is a lot of hearts interwoven, so I can't just freehand it and hope that it looks good... I have a micro drive.

Thanks for the help in advance -

Julia Graves

Julia,

My favorite is the water soluble, blue marking pens. Also, Miracle Chalk is a must have for stencils. However, if she doesn't want you to use marking tools, and you don't like the Golden Threads paper, then by all means try the laser. I have used it and it worked very well. Just ppp...

Good luck and have fun,

Mary Beth

I had a quilter once who wouldn't let me mark her quilt with anything so I turned to a wash out product embroidery people and dress makers use.

"SOLVY water soluble stabulizer" I used the lighter weight.

I drew the design on with a blue marking pen, then used a spray adhesive such as KK2000 or 505, these are air erase sprays and don't leave any residue.

Drew the design, sprayed it and placed it where I wanted it....sew.

If you are using a small stitch it will just pull off and if there are any tiny pieces left they will wash right out when the quilt if washed the first time. This is what worked for me.

• 4 months later...

I also had problems with the paper on my long arm - I didn't want to use pins to hold it in place, and I quilted half of it and managed to perforate the paper so that it cut in half and all fell off. LOL I can laugh now. I had to pick out 40" of half completed cable border.

I'm now using chalk (the pounce stuff) and it's going ok.

Archived