Lighting

DH and I are about to renovate an old circa 1945 house on our property into a Sewing Studio for me and my new Freedom. It will have new everything inside and out and we ae wondering what kind of experiences any of you have with Halogen Lights or florecent lighting. Any comments and suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks...Monika:cool:

Hi Monika,

If you are prone to migranes or headaches you don't want to use either one of those types of lighting. I have a type of track lighting and use natural light bulbs. I really like the track lighting because you can move the lights where every you want. Plus I am prone to migranes so I stay away from florecent and halogen lights. Good luck!

Char

I don't use my overhead track lighting very much to sew. I use the machine light and I attach a snake clamp halogen light to the top post on my machine. It twists around to the left side of my needle above the fabric. I can turn off my machine light when I can't see the difference between my thread and fabric. The side halogen gives good contrast lighting and I can see where I'm going. $10.00 at K-Mart. Plugs in to back of machine where you laser plugs in.

Thanks Char, I will certainly keep that in mind. It seems there is not alot of lighting problems out there as I didn't get any responses other than yours. I wrote to Sylvania, will see what they come up with.

My original thought was track lighting, I most likely will go with that. Just have to convince DH its my studio, my choice. He has his own ideas.....ztztztztz!

I waited to get my machine up and going before deciding what type of lighting I would need -boy am I glad I did that!! We originally thought I would need a huge amount of expensive lighting but that turned out not to be the case. I painted my studio a nice bright white (Ilove the clean look of it) & found that I needed only a simple ceiling light!! DH can always install track lightning later as my eyes grow older (Once he is done with the bathroom that is)

good luck to you!

Patty

Hi,

I used track lighting and I like it. I do have a halogen light attached to the top of my machine for side lighting and it does a great job. But I have to say - it puts out a LOT of heat! I'm glad my track lighting bulb are not halogen, but natural light bulbs.

Terri

Hi, I also have flourescent lighting in my sewing room, (1 long one above my Milli), but I find that the light reflects off my plastic cover when doing panto's making it hard to see. Maybe turning off my "room light" and attaching a portable to the machine head just might fix that. Thanks for the suggestion Jo-Ann.

Janet

Archived