Suggestions on how to quilt this

I was going to load my first quilt on the frame and had my thoughts on how to quilt it however after looking at it further I think I need some suggestions on how to quilt this.  My mother made this quilt before she passed away and it will the first quilt I've done - very special.  I don't want to do a pantograph as this needs to be something special.  Keep in mind that I'm a beginner.  I would love to do feathers somehow in the quilt however it's hard for me to define the blocks.

I would appreciate any suggestions - not too hard please but all custom.    I hope the picture shows as I"ve never posted one before.

post-4016-0-59968600-1415318449_thumb.jpg

Very pretty.  Do you have a stencil that will fit any of your portions of the blocks?  You could mark them with chalk (I like washable markers, but with this being Mom's work that might be scary for your first one).  I could see feathers in either the white block strip corners, or in the colored triangles.  The triangles might be easier for you with a stencil tracing.  Draw your feathers in where you want them and then stitch.  If you take your time and work at a relaxed pace I am sure you will do well, better than you thought you could.

For practice draw the blocks on scrap fabric, draw your designs and then stitch.  Repeat with a different color and you will soon see how you can do it on the good quilt.  That one is very sharp looking and great color placement.

That is a beautiful quilt! 

I think feathers in either the white or colored sections,

and the borders I think I would stitch in the ditch, and if

wide strips, maybe a wiggly one in the middle.

An alternate design and still can be pretty, would be a meander..

Not real large and not tiny.. about the size of that little point

in the colored parts, and make the size of the point, square.

Archived