Thread Shredding

You didn't mention what type thread you're using, or what you're sewing on.  But, it sounds like tension is where you ought to start first.  Tighten the top thread til you're pulling the bobbin thread to the top.  Does it break first?  Are the birds nests gone from the back?  No?  Check that your bobbin case check spring is functioning properly, and the case is clean.  If no resistance is placed on the bobbin and you are sewing fast, it will continue to rotate when you stop, create a "bird's nest" and probably break when you begin to sew again.

If you're using a cotton thread, or a decorative embroidery thread, or rayon thread, it could well be the thread itself.  Spool off a bit of thread and tug on it.  If it breaks easily, the thread is probably the problem.  If none of these are the case, check your thread guides.  If you suspect they might be worn, turn them so the thread will rub in a new position.  If you don't improve results, come back here with more details.  Good luck.  Jim

I am using Glide thread and fil tec magnetic bobbins.  It seems to stitch fine and then periodically shred the top thread and make a bird's nest on the bottom with the top thread. I understand the concept of the bobbin still spinning.  Does that mean I need to tighten the bobbin case?  What else might I do to remedy this problem?

It sounds like the issue is in the top thread, rather than the bobbin, so I wouldn't tighten that any.  A nest of top thread on the back isn't caused by backlash - that would result in a nest of bobbin thread.  What size needle are you using? If smaller than a 4.0, that could be the problem.  Check that your Hook Retaining Finger isn't too far into its slot - look in the "Timing" section of your manual for guidance on that. Check all your thread guides for grooves. Check your tension assembly disks for cleanliness.  Recheck the thread path, then recheck again - it's often a culprit.  Check that your thread path isn't causing the thread to rub against a screw head or other portion of the machine.  And if all else fails, call the experts at APQS Service - they're the best!!

Archived