Web site questions--edited to ask if I should blog instead

I would like to know who those of you who have websites use to run those websites. I have tried doing my own website and it just is not working so I would like see what most you use. I need to try to get my site improved in a big way. 

I have done on search of previous discussion on the forum and found one on websites and found that it looks like blogs are the way most of you think we should go.  Is this true and if so can you use a dot com to blog with because I already of the domain name and would like to continue to use it.

Mary

Mary's Time 2 Quilt

Mary,

I'm like you.  I have a website, but rarely have time to maintain it.  I don't know anything about how to set up a blog, but I've seen some really good (and bad) examples on the web.  I'll keep watching this thread so that I can piggyback off any super ideas that are shared here.  Thanks for posting this question!

Thanks for the compliment Linda! :)

I have both a website and blog and they have very different purposes for me. My website has all the info about my business ( cost, batting for sale, picture of pantographs and a gallery of work) and my blog is my day to day journal of what I am currently working on.   A website take a lot of work to set up but then requires little maintenance after.  A blog requires less effort to set up and a lot of time ( daily/weekly) to keep up but since I really enjoy blogging I don't find it a chore at all.  I look forward to writing my next post but I know many who start a blog find it work and don't enjoy the process so they end up abandoning then.

I get most of my out of town/country business from my blog and my current clients like my website so they can browse my pantograph selection.

You can set up your blog with pages so you it can have a website feel.  You can also use your domain name if you use blogger too.  Check out his link. 

I had a website, but it got expensive and was hard to keep it updated and fresh looking. I have opted to have a blog page  through www.blogger.com

It is free, has plenty of available space for pictures adn such, and if I don't get to it then I don't feel so guilty. I have been trying to be better about posting to it.  I wish I could do it every few days, but time has not allowed that.  I just updated it again today, if you'd like to look.

sweettsquilting.blogspot.com

Archived