not much extra for my backing

Add a strip of fabric to the top and bottom edges of the backer. If the quilt backer is kept taut on the frame, guy ou may not need the extra fabric there to clsmp on to, but if you prefer, you can add extra fabric to all four sides of the backer. Use a 1/4 seam and press the seam away from the quilt center. Carefully load the backer straight, making sure you position the quilt top so it doesn't cross onto that "extra" fabric. Good luck! It's not scary, just requires a little planning in positioning.

I sometimes need to add an extra strip on sides or end.  I don't seam it, I butt it together and use a large zig zag.    I don't need to press it open or anything and it works perfect.  I usually make my baby quilts so I can use one width of backing for them.  That means I need to add strips on the sides.  When I use a zig zag it is a quick snip to remove them and I can reuse the strips.

I use Sharon Schamber's (don't think that is spelled correctly) method.  I have a strip of fabric about the length of my quilting space and about 8" wide with a dowel rod on one side.  I pin the fabric to my backing and use my clamps on the other side with the dowel rod.  Just quilt that area, roll up the quilt and repin.  It doesn't take much extra time.  Does this make sense to you? 

Archived