How to square up backing with horizontal and vertical designs

I have a backing for a charity quilt that has both horizontal and vertical designs that need to look level and straight on the back of the quilt.   If I cut across and down lining up with the designs so it will look right, the backing isn't square.  I'm hesitant to cut it square because I'll be cutting through the designs and on one side you'll see the full design then on the other end only part of it - that would look really awful.

How do I solve this problem - do I load the quilt with an unsquare backing so the designs look right and if so, how do I keep the backing so it won't bunch or do I cut it square and have the designs looking unlevel both across and down.

Any help would be appreciated as I haven't run across this issue before.    Thanks!

In my opinion, this fabric is unsuitable for your backing. Not only is it printed off grain, but it is very difficult to keep it perfectly straight and centered while quilting. To me, you have two choices...pick a different fabric or put it on the frame and quilt it however it falls. It is a charity quilt, and the recipient will be glad for the warmth and unconcerned about the backing, I expect.

Sounds like there's no real fix for this.  Problem is there are rows both horizontal and vertical.  It's disappointing since I purchase all my material from quilt stores only.  I think I"ll load the quilt and see how it looks on the rollers then decided whether to take the backing off and find something else.  The current backing fabric was made to go with the top fabric that's why I'd like to try and use it - enhances how the total quilt looks.  I'm particular even about charity quilts - all of these go to children's hospital and sometimes children get a special attachment to their quilts. 

I'll be more careful in the future not to purchase fabric that has defined rows.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I ended up having to change the backing fabric, there was just too much bunching of fabric on the back for me to actually start quilting this after I got it loaded.  I'm glad I at least tried to use it.  Not sure what I can use the old backing fabric for since nothing will line up - I thought of making a couple of matching pillowcases however I'm sure I'll have the same problem with lining up the rows.   I think the only way I can use this is for "fussy cutting"  some quilt block pieces on a different quilt - I may have to waste a bunch of fabric doing this however it would allow me to use some of the fabric..   This has been a good experience for me - never buy fabric that has horizontal and vertical rows.

Wouldn't it be nice if quilt stores would tear their fabric instead of cutting it - we'd always have fabric that is square and know how it lines up before we purchase it.  I know this would waste a few inches on the first tear however it would sure make live easier for us quilters.  

Archived