Which thread are good for you & why?

busybee

Hi everyone

I use only Superior Threads now. Bottomline for s-i-d and heavy quilting, King Tut for when the customer will only have cotton and Rainbows just because I love the colours.

There is a great section on the Superior website giving advice on all aspects of thread use including adjusting tensions and thread composition. Go to www.superiorthreads.com and click on the Education section. Have lots of paper ready to print it off for reference later.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Well I've only had my millie for 4 weeks and am currently doing a custom job. After playing with tension for about 4 hours I finally got so mad I walked away crying asking myself what have I gotten myself into. Well I found a web site at www.sussexsewingmachines.com/tension.htm I highly recommend as a newbie to read this article called the complete guide to tension adjusting. I followed the instructions and have had my problems dissappear. I also used linda's batting trick. I also used a pen because I don't have the hartley dual spool holder so I had to macgyver a solution. I'll send a picture if I can ever figure out how to post them.

Right now I find that the only way I can deal with cotton is to use superiors bottom line thread in the bottom. So far this is the only way I can use cotton in the top. I also like to use Gutterman regular polyester as well as their quilting thread. I can get this locally so for rush orders this works well it I can't wait for my thread to come from supperior.

The one thing I know is that this has a definate learning curve. I could have put my head in the sand and give up but I just walked away took some time to do something else and when I came back I was able to figure things out.

From a newbie thank you to all the hints and techniques that you wonderfull ladies have sharred with all of us. Here in Canada everyone is so protective of their territory they don't want any new longarmer's to succeeds so I have no local help so I relly on this board quite allot. Can't wait to meet some of you at MQS next month.

Tina

The Quilt lady

Hi Joe Ann,

Thank you so much!! for your advice , and you can be sure I will be doing just what you said.

And yes the Maxi Lock does produce a lot of lint.

I also use prewound bobbins ,will that be ok with the Superior thread ? Should I wind some of the same in the bobbin?

I do have a air compresser and do use it as well.

Can I use the alcohol on the wheels also?

I'm going to a Longarm class in April I should have taken it a long time ago, I just wanted to play , now I want to learn LOL!!! One thing I have learned a lot of things not to do.

Again Thank you sooo Much!! Saundra,

lurynne,

Whenever possible I use the same color thread, top & bottom. Just makes life easier. But there are times when the quilt calls for one color on top, different color bobbin. But you will have to be careful with the tension. I would suggest testing on a seperate piece to be sure you have the tension correct and you are happy with the look, no matter which direction you move the machine.

If I am using a varigated thread on top, I will use a co-ordinating solid in the bobbin.

Hi Saundra,

I wind my own bobbins simply because I like to have a really close color match. Plus it is simply cheaper and when you are first starting out it would cost an awful lot to buy a box of bobbins in each color available. And their color choice is limited. And I do love color!

Superior sells pre-wound plastic bobbins that uses Bottom Line thread, if you like them. They are suppossed to be coming out with a new line soon that uses their own threads and cardboard bobbins. Not sure if that has happened yet or not. Or you can buy the Bottom Line, and wind your own.

To clean your wheels, use a q-tip & alcohol. No problem and it will not damage your wheels. I even asked APQS just to make sure.

Archived