Which thread are good for you & why?

busybee

I personally prefer to use cotton threads - even though they can be a bit more trouble. Back when I was quilting on my DSM, I took classes from Harriet Hargrave and she showed where the poly thread can cut the fabric over time. I use principally Signature thread - available from Kingmen. There is also a distributor in this area that carries it - so I can pick some up when I go there to buy batting. I will also use Star/Admiral. My last order for that was through Columbia River Quilting. I've also used Valdani - however have had some fairly significant issues with breakage and the thread is very linty. This has significantly diminished with the Hartley top feeding spool holder. However I still have cut down on my use.

Kari

Guest Linda S

Well, I use a lot of Superior threads. Mostly because I have a wholesale account with them and they have a huge selection of gorgeous threads. I can get lots of different things at great prices. I haven't had problems running anything through my Liberty yet. I like bottom line, rainbows, sew fine, and absolutely love King Tut! I just got some thread today from Melco Mart. It's a poly -- 5000 yards for about $6.50 comes in a million and a half colors. I haven't tried it yet, but it was recommended to my by Nichole Webb, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll let you know what I think.

Linda

Kari, I'm with you. I mostly use cotton (Signature from Kings Men). I love the Superior Sew Fine and use it some but I just can't get past my love of cotton. For variegated, I love the King Tut. The solids are a bit costly and while they're pretty and they work great, I just can't justify the cost for the day to day quilting. I've had no problems at all with Signature cotton and for now, am not switching from it.

I have used Superior PolyQuilter, Rainbow, Bottom Line and many others with great success. I seem to be able to run just about any thread so it boils down to a personal preference and for most applications -- it's 100% cotton for me.

Guest Linda S

Well, Bob Purcell from Superior Threads could be wrong, but since thread is his business, I trust him. I took a class from him and got my Ph.D. in Threadology (I have a diploma to prove this). Polyester thread WILL NOT CUT your fabric. I was always a cotton purist myself until I learned more about thread. You can read the scoop on www.superiorthreads.com Now that I have the facts and can see this vast sea of beautiful thread in front of me, I no longer feel the need to limit myself to cotton. I do like the look of cotton on certain quilts though, and Signature is a good one for plain, colored basic cottons.

Linda

I am also a Superior Thread fan. For my day to day quilting I use their Machine Quilting Thread (poly). It comes at a great price and in lots of pretty colors. For special quilts I use their Perfect Quilter, Poly Quilter or King Tut. I LOVE all of their varigated threads and want to use them all.

I have become a big fan of the prewound bobbins from APQS and have some in almost all of their colors. If the quilt backing requires a color I don't have then I wind my own using the Machine Quilting Thread. I seldom use cotton thread in the bobbin because they don't hold much thread and I need to change bobbins almost every row. What are the rest of you using in your bobbins? Do any of you always use the same thread on top and bobbin?

I think you convinced me. I have been using allot of different threads but I just ordered some yesterday online. We will see which is great for me. I have been in limbo about what to order. Now if my machine was here it would help. I am a wanabee for the moment. How do you determine the quality of thread to use. How I do it depends on the quality of material been used for top and bottom and design. You can take a pattern that is pretty and cheap material and spruce it up and make a gorgious quilt from it. But some customers with cheap do not want allot of money in it too. I hope this does not offend anybody. Its is just my opinion and love to here your opinion.

Guest Linda S

Here is what convinced me to try lots of threads. Besides the fact that small minds like bright and shiny objects! :P I learned from Bob Purcell about the poly threads cutting cloth being an old wives tale (on the other hand, nylon is much tougher and could cause this problem). Then Bob tells his little story comparing sewing/quilting machines to televisions. You have just bought what would be considered in tvland, one of those mega big-screen tvs. Maybe a nice flat panel that takes up a whole wall. Now, if your husband bought one of those big honkin' TVs and put it on the wall and watched nothing but ESPN all day, every day, wouldn't you think he was nuts? How about an occasional movie? Documentary? New Year's Eve special? :cool: Don't get the top of the line and then leave it stuck on the same channel! Adjusting the color doesn't count! ;)

Linda - who loves to play with thread

I got my Mille in late July and used only poly thread, mostly from Superior, until the last 6 weeks or so. I ordered some cotton wrapped poly from Signature for a black quilt. Loved it!! I ended up ordering more. I have a little harder time adjusting the tension on the back and had to add the little piece of batting for the top thread to run through to avoid linty problems. But I really like it. Any ideas on how to get my tension on the back of the quilt adjusted to where I'm happy? I feel like this cotton wrapped poly shows just a little more and I like the weight better. Just the idea of it being thicker. It's probably just in my head though. I can't get as far with my bobbins, about 2 rows is all, but I think I'm saving money without buying prewounds anyways. I almost ALWAYS use the same thread in top and bottom.

Kelly

Kelly: It's just a matter of getting the tension right. I've found that most of the times when I'm unhappy with my thread on the back, I need to loosen the bobbin tension and tighten the top tension.

I almost always use the same thread top and bobbin and I wind my own bobbins too. I had thought of ordering the pre-wound Bottom Line bobbins because I like using BL for the microstippling (top and bottom) but I have had a hard time winding the BL bobbins without bending the bobbins. But then I read of all the problems people were having with the pre-wound BL bobbins so I'll just keep winding my own for now.

Happy New Year everyone! I use almost exclusivly Superiour's Bottom Line thread. My quilting tends to be on the heavy side and since I prefer not to have a thread heavy quilt, this works very well for me. I also use this thread in the bobbin which I wind myself or I use the pre-wound bobbins that APQS offers.

• 5 weeks later...

I use Superior threads too. I got a bunch of their King Tut variegateds recently and enjoy them on top. They add depth i think. I love their So Fine. I have not yet used their Bottom Line thread but I met them recently at a show and they were so nice and helpful. Mr. Purcell recommended I use the Bottoms Line in bobbins and either So Fine or King Tut on top.

I have tried the poly too and enjoyed it. Maybe I am crazy, but there is not a thread I have tried yet that my machine didn't like. I have also used my Auriful and Gutermann with good results. The machine's tension system is incredible to me. I adjust less for thread changes with my Millie than I do with my Viking sewing machine...

:D

Can anyone explain to me what Kelly meant when she said, "I have a little harder time adjusting the tension on the back and had to add the little piece of batting for the top thread to run through to avoid linty problems. " ?

I'm not understanding the "little piece of batting for the top thread to run through".

• 1 month later...

Hello Ladies My name is Saundra Frahm. I am new to this membership . I have a APQS Millennium, I have been practing for almost two years. I use Maxi Lock which is polyester thread,because I'am afraid of others, it has worked fairly good for me. I have also used embroidery thread polyester.I have tried to use vairagated Sulky 40, but no luck with that it breaks a lot, frustrating! If any know of a good brand of the vairagated to get I would apreciate the help.

Also I have gotten some aluminum stains on some of my quilts, I try to keep the tracks clean but it builds up so fast. Is there something out there that will take the stains out ,and stop the aluminum from building up so fast. Thanks So Much!!! Saundra,

Hi Saundra,

Welcome to the chat line. You will get a good exchange of ideas here. Just seeing what everyone else does.

When it comes to thread, I love varigated & Superior Threads are wonderful. Very lint free. When I first got my Liberty, it came with some of their thread & I had also placed an order with them while waiting for my machine. After using it for awhile, I was talking to one of our local quilt shops & she said she had never used anything but MaxiLock. Since I had some of that on hand, I tried it on my next quilt. I couldn't believe how much lint build up I got. Needless to say, I went back to Superior.

If you haven't tried Superior, you really should. Go to www.superiorthreads.com. It is easy to set up a wholesale account with them. Very friendly, knowledgeable people.

Their Rainbow thread is a lovely varigated with 1" color changes. I love every one I have tried. Their King Tut also has 1" color changes & is 100% cotton.

Call them & ask for a free catalog. Every month they have specials.

As far as the stains, try a white cloth & regular soap that has no colorants in it. Worked for me the one time I got a stain.

As soon as you finish a quilt & before removing it from the machine, you might want to try to make it a habit to go over the rails with a cotton facial pad with a little alcohol on it. Just be sure to wipe only the rails, not the acrlyic table. Cleans the rails nicely. That's how I have cleaned the rails on my Total Gym (exercise equipment) for years because it does the same thing. Works great.

I've taught quilting classes for about 15 years (hand & machine) and I really believe in good habits. Before starting a quilt I change the needle if needed, remove bobbin case & clean that area with q-tip then canned air, oil, run machine for about 5 minutes, clean again with q-tip & oil wicks if needed.

Each time I change a bobbin, I check for lint, clean if needed & blow into bobbin case. Then check my hands to be sure that they aren't dirty.

After quilt is finished but BEFORE unpinning, clean the rails & wipe off table with excess clean batting. It sounds time consuming but it isn't. Takes longer to type it than to do it.

I know this is more than you asked, but I got on a roll. I'm sure alot of the other ladies have different routines that work well for them, but this works for me. I really didn't like it when I got a mark on one of my qults & had to clean it!

Archived