disappearing hourglass quilt

I just got another new customer.  She said she chose me over many others because she loves the pictures of the quilts I have done.  She has been getting her quilts done at Missouri Quilting company, but they have a long waiting list right now.

She is sending me a disappearing hourglass quilt like the one in the background of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXggafOP230

She wants something unique.  I was thinking about some kind of line dancing variation, but I'm not sure yet.  Has anybody quilted one of these?  What would you do with it.  She wants white cotton thread top and bottom, warm and white batting.

Hi Teresa!

Looking at the star in the middle, if you draw a line from the top center seam diagonally to the right and reaching the side center seam, the line will intersect the points of the stars. Go all around the block this way and you'll have an on-point box in each block that encloses the star. What's left are triangles with a tiny triangle in the corner. If you look at that with the other three adjacent triangles, you have an on-point square with a tiny hourglass block in the center. The center star can be CC'ed and the background there can be left unquilted. For that other on-point square made by the triangles, drop a circle around the hourglass block and stitch a feathered square wreath (or leafy wreath) around the small circle to fill the larger square. I think that will add a lot of interest. Draw it out to see what I mean.

White thread may be a problem because it won't show on the white and it will really show on the prints. I don't know what would be a better color or whether you can talk your customer into something else, but logically you should use a color that shows up on all the fabrics. If the colored fabrics are in the blue-green-turquoise range---thin gold thread would be great. If she's using sunshine colors like orange-yellow-red---maybe thin turquoise or pale purple. You can see what I mean--go with something that contrasts with all the fabrics but that doesn't overwhelm the piecing. Just a thought, though!   ;)

Archived